Turner throws complete-game shutout as baseball defeats Arizona Christian

Senior righty picks up ten strikeouts while walking none on way to shut out of GSAC rival.

Senior starting pitcher Nick Turner (middle) celebrates with teammate Paul Slater (right) after Sunday’s 2-0 shutout of Arizona Christian. | Conner Penfold/THE CHIMES

Conner Penfold, Writer

Biola baseball’s lone senior starting pitcher was just about untouchable on Sunday afternoon.

For the first time in his collegiate career, right-hander Nick Turner threw a complete-game shutout, dominating Arizona Christian University en route to a 2-0 victory.

“I just kept throwing my curveball and either they weren’t expecting it or they didn’t know how to hit a curveball,” Turner said.

Turner allowed just six baserunners — four hits and two errors — all while striking out a season-high 10 batters and walking none to secure his third straight win.

The victory moves Biola into sole possession of first place in the Golden State Athletic Conference with a conference record of 5-3.

“I’ve been praying more on the mound,” Turner said. “I pray that for my team I would remain focused, only one inning at a time and not get ahead of myself.”

Turner’s only scare came in the first when consecutive Firestorm batters reached on an error and a bunt single. Both runners eventually wound up in scoring position on a sacrifice bunt before Turner secured the final two outs on just two pitches.

“I didn’t expect either run to score,” Turner said.

Freshman catcher Sam Thorne secures center fielder Benji Sutherland’s throw to tag Arizona Christian’s Ryan Jones out at the plate in the fourth inning of Sunday’s win. | Conner Penfold/THE CHIMES

Collision at plate in fourth inning preserves shutout

Arizona Christian came within feet from tying the game in the fourth when a Phil Creecy single up the middle sent first baseman Ryan Jones careening around third base. Senior center fielder Benji Sutherland came up throwing and gunned down Jones at the plate, setting up a collision between Jones and freshman catcher Sam Thorne, who held onto the ball to preserve the shutout.

The outfield assist was Sutherland’s first of the season.

Arizona Christian received a quality start from fourth-year lefty Mike LaChapelle who gave up two runs on four hits in six innings. His only blemishes came on an RBI-single from junior second baseman Michael Annunziata in the second inning and another in the sixth from Sutherland, who extended his hitting streak to 11 games.

Sutherland had two of the Eagles’ four hits in the game.

Freshman right-hander Josh Staumont will be on the mound tomorrow for the series finale, which will start at 11 a.m. A win would move Biola two games ahead for first place in the GSAC and would secure the team’s third consecutive series win.