Men’s basketball wins road thriller against Master’s

The Eagles defeated The Master’s College in a 54-53 game on Saturday.

Senior guard Jeremy Pope drives for the layup on Tuesday night against Arizona Christian. | Grant Walter/THE CHIMES Jan 29

Tyler Gunhus, Writer

Senior guard Jeremy Pope hit a short floater and three clutch free throws down the stretch to seal a hard-fought win for the Eagles Saturday night as Biola downed The Master’s College, 54-53.

Biola never trailed Master’s in the game, but the Mustangs continued to find a way to battle back and even the score. Tying up the game with a minute to go, it looked to be anyone’s game. Thanks to big free throws from both Pope and senior forward David Cline, who went 2-2 in the last 30 seconds, the Eagles held on to avoid slipping to last place in the conference.

Led by outstanding performances from several players, Biola wore down The Master’s defense as four Eagles finished in double digits. Pope and Cline, along with junior guard Cody Wittick, finished with 11 points apiece. Sophomore forward Mike Kurtz added 10 points and grabbed nine boards, just missing on the double-double. Wittick also had eight rebounds.

Despite a solid win, the final outcome could have swung the opposite direction in the final seconds. Mustang guard Derrick Fain hit a three-pointer at the buzzer to bring Master’s within one. The three appeared to be all for naught, as the Mustangs came up just short, but Fain contested he was fouled and was lying on the floor to show it. After some confusion, the refs ruled against the crowds agitated protests that no contact had been made and the game was over.

The win marks Biola’s first back-to-back wins against Golden State Athletic Conference opponents this season. The Eagles jump to 4-6 in conference play, pushing forward to No. 6 in the GSAC standings.

Coach Holmquist and his boys will look to make it three in a row as they return home this Tuesday to take on red hot, 15th ranked Hope International University. The Hawks currently boast a cool 21-4 record, holding to 6-3 in GSAC play. Tip off is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. at Chase Gymnasium.

On January 29, senior guard Jeremy Pope drives for the layup against Arizona Christian. | Grant Walter/THE CHIMES