Staumont, four others combine to throw program’s first no-hitter since 1970

The Eagles improve record to 5-1 and take series against GSAC foe.

Conner Penfold, Writer

Freshman starting pitcher Josh Staumont throws a pitch on February 11 against Arizona Christian, two weeks after throwing 5.1 innings of a combined no-hitter against The Master's College. | Conner Penfold/THE CHIMES [file photo]

When junior right-hander Will Emerson struck out the final batter Monday afternoon in Santa Clarita, a crowd of ecstatic Biola players stormed the mound. Five of Biola’s pitchers had combined to no-hit The Master’s College in a 6-0 ballgame, the program’s first no-no since 1970.

“I didn’t even realize it was a no-hitter until 10 minutes after,” head coach John Verhoeven told sports information director Jeff Hoffman. “I was just happy to get the win.”

Freshmen Josh Staumont and Garrett Picha, and juniors Erick Allen, Javier Martinez and Will Emerson struck out six and walked seven in the combined effort, improving the Eagles’ record to 5-1.

The true freshman Staumont pitched the first 5.1 innings of hitless ball in his first Golden State Athletic Conference start, managing to work around three walks in the first five innings.

“I love being able to help out in this organization in anyway I can,” Staumont said. “The fact that these guys are so strong and back me up when I make mistakes is something I love.”

Allen gets Staumont out of crucial jam in the sixth

After retiring the first batter of the sixth, Staumont surrendered back-to-back walks and was pulled for fellow freshman Picha, who proceeded to walk the bases loaded. Allen then entered with one out and needed just five pitches to get Biola out of the jam and keep the no-hitter alive.

“Erick is my guy,” Staumont said. “He picks me up when I’m struggling and having him shut them down was more than essential.”

Allen pitched into the eighth inning, walking one and striking out one before he was relieved by Martinez, who helped senior Nick Turner shut out the Mustangs just two days earlier. Emerson recorded the final two outs, including a three-pitch strikeout to send the Biola dugout sprinting to the mound in celebration.

“The no-hitter aspect wasn’t a thought in my head once I started getting warm,” Emerson said. “I knew I had a big lead so I needed to pound the strike zone.”

Oddo, Poland have big days to supply Eagles offense

Biola’s big lead came courtesy of a three-run top of the ninth. After senior centerfielder Benji Sutherland singled home a run, junior catcher Nick Oddo connected for his third hit of the game, a single to right field that plated two more runs.

Oddo finished the contest going 3-for-5 with three RBIs, including a solo homer in the sixth.

Junior first baseman Sage Poland went 3-for-3 in his first start of the year, getting the scoring started with an RBI-single in the second.

Biola will play Bethesda University of California tomorrow before returning to conference play this Friday when they’ll travel to Westmont to start a three-game series.