AS Spring Budget Meeting: Dec. 11, 2012

AS held their bi-annual budget meeting to determine next semester’s budget.

Grant Walter/THE CHIMES

unknown

Grant Walter/THE CHIMES

Rachel Snyder, Writer

Marketing and Communications

• Senior Richie Gowin, vice president of Marketing and Communications, proposed to lower the Marketing and Communications budget for spring 2013 to $8,150 from last year’s $17,970 due to cutting web design and hosting, as well as the Associated Students calendar post cards. AS plans to begin providing surveys for student feedback at the end of every event, such as Mock Rock. They will need to budget $500 for buying a survey program. Despite this, the budget has been significantly cut. The senators passed this proposal unanimously.

Social Events

• Senior Michelle Orgill, social events coordinator, proposed to lower the Social Board budget to $17,600 from $35,045 by cutting things like office supplies and the retreat fund due to a smaller staff this year. Other changes include charging non-Biola students for events such as Mock Rock, which is projected to bring in $2,500. The senate proposed an additional $300 for a vote-by-texting program for the event. The Spring Banquet, last held in 2011, is currently being planned as well, adding to the social events budget. The senators all voted yes on this proposal.

Spirit Events

• Spirit events coordinator, junior Ashley Nelson, proposed to increase the Spirit Events budget to $14,420 from $9,995. The new budget includes revamping the athletic banquet at the end of the semester, holding it on campus instead of at a country club. The costs of the tent, catering and staff contribute to the increase. However the price will be split with UCM and Alumni Relations for hosting the banquet after the Talbot event. The senate felt that this would be a good opportunity for athletes to invite their family and friends, and to be recognized in front of their peers. Tickets will be $15.

Among the proposals was a decrease for Study Break. The Karaoke prize was proposed to be lowered to $100. The senators agreed that this was reasonable, as compared to the prize of $300 from previous years. The proposals for Spirit Services passed with all in favor.

Coalition for Social Action

• Coalition for Social Action proposed to increase its budget to $6,675 from $5,350. Senior Jessica Jesudasen, CSA coordinator, explained that this increase is due to the new Social Justice Awareness Concert that will debut in the spring. There will be a musician performing and a speaker that AS will need to pay. The concert is among the new “Keep Calm and Pray On” series, also taking place in the spring. All senators passed this proposal.

Intramurals

• Senior Luke Hamagiwa, intramurals coordinator, proposed to decrease the budget because less sports equipment will need to be purchased than in years past. Hamagiwa expects $7,150 in revenue to be brought in over the semester, which would cover almost half of intramurals’ expenses. He proposed for $8,920. Hamagiwa noted that there was a need for uniforms for officials, so that students may easily identify an official when they need one. $1,950 of the total intramurals budget will be spent on new uniforms for staff and referees. The senate passed this.

Religious Lecture Coordinator

• Senior Matt Fier, religious lecture coordinator, proposed to increase the budget to $15,850 from $11,150 due to the new Forgiveness Awareness Week Luncheon, and an increase in facilities for a conference speaker. Fier hopes to split the expenses with Christian Formation and Ministries. The senate passed this proposal unanimously.

Music and Arts

• Music and arts coordinator, senior Lauren Bailey, presented an increased proposal of $16,000. Last semester — the first of the department — it was originally set for $3,750, which was just enough for the average cost of the Eddy. A major component of the increase is allocated towards hiring the talent for the Eddy concert. Prayer through Poetry is a new event that will require $1,000 for art supplies, in hopes of enhancing the art side of Music and Arts in AS. There will also be an open mic night planned for spring where students will be given the chance to sign up for performances, which will require $3,000 for advertising, setup, and facilities. This proposal passed with one abstain.

Clubs

• Clubs coordinator, junior Brett Kobold, proposed approximately a $3,000 increase for clubs of from last year’s proposal, $22,165 — asking for $25,850 total. There will be an increase in the amount spent on advertising and overall club funding. Brett said that the AS senate has recently been flooded with club funding proposals. Instead of taking up time during senate meetings next semester, Kobold proposed that his account be credited an extra $5,000 so that he can distribute the money to clubs himself. All senators voted to pass his proposal.

General

• Overall, senior Amy Howard, AS office manager, asked to increase the AS general budget to $15,500 from $14,100. Office improvements and online elections contributed to this increase.

• Evan Tan presented the continuous need to replace computers in the AS office. The senate passed his proposal of $3,600.

• Tan also mentioned a $60,000 surplus of unknown funds. $55,000 total were passed for SUB and office improvements. Anything left over will roll over into contingency. The leftover $5,000 was voted to be spent on card scanners for future events such as Mock Rock or Intramural activities.

Payroll

• Vice president of Finance, Human Resources, and Technology, junior Evan Tan, proposed a pay raise for AS, since AS has not had a pay raise in four years. Due to inflation and other departments already adjusting to this, the raise is overdue. The raise varies per position at AS, not exceeding $0.75 an hour. All senators voted to pass this proposal.