AS Senate Rundown: Dec. 4, 2012

Senators passed one proposal and heard about a number of upcoming changes in AS.

Grant Walter/THE CHIMES

unknown

Grant Walter/THE CHIMES

Rachel Snyder, Writer

Vice President of Marketing and Communications

• Junior Richie Gowin, vice president of Associated Students marketing and communications, discussed changes for the next semester in the senate newsletters, including fixing the template and design to save time and money. Gowin also asked for feedback on how students felt about the delayed university tree lighting.

“It was a big night for three-hour classes … that may have caused some tension between teachers and students,” said sophomore Camryn Hudson, Hope South senator, regarding what she considered to be the only negative result of the tree lighting.

• Gowin further discussed the AS prayer line. He previously met with Jerry Mackey, Biola’s Legal Counsel about the anonymity of the prayer line.

“All we see is their number,” Gowin said, saying that he felt this was not emphasized enough in the recent Chimes article. “It’s still anonymous but we have the ability to find out who they are if we need to, such as if the person is under 18 and there is child abuse going on — then we are required to report it.”

Vice President of Finance Update

• According to junior Evan Tan, vice president of finance, the AS budget is going to be restructured due to the growing needs of Biola. As the school and clubs grow, the AS budget needs to grow, Tan said. He and Biola vice president of finance Michael Pierce believe that funding of Student Development organizations falls under Biola’s budgeting.

“The purpose of the student fee is to fund student-run organizations like AS, SMU, The Chimes, and The Biolan. Therefore, I would like to renegotiate these contracts with the employee-run departments on campus so that they can be funded by the university budget and not the student fee, hence allowing students to have more control over where the student fee goes to,” Tan said, in an email.

• The judiciary branch of AS, a neutral party that can vote on proposals or handle situations where the constitution is broken, is looking to be revived in the next year, according to Tan.

• According to Tan, AS is looking for businesses like Chick-fil-A, Yogurtland, and In-n-Out Burger to support Biola events, in exchange for advertising space at these events. The plan is to receive $5,000 for every major event, like Punk ‘N’ Pie, Mock Rock, etc. Due to the planning required to coordinate this funding, AS doesn’t expect this to happen until fall of 2013.

PASSED

• Senators passed a proposal requesting $600 from senior cinema and media arts majors Jesse Bauder and Sam Smith, who submitted a request for funding to rent out a theater in Whittier for the premiere of the student film “Away.” The theater seats 200 people and will be rented for two hours with the possibility of two showings at $300 an hour.