Volleyball takes Lindsey Wilson College in straight sets

The Biola volleyball team defeated Lindsey Wilson College in the first game of the pool at the NAIA National Championship.

Conner Penfold, Writer

After a tight first set, Biola women’s volleyball defeated Lindsey Wilson College in game one of pool play in the NAIA National Championship — 25-23, 25-13, 25-17.

Sophomore middle blocker Amy Weststeyn led all players with 13 kills, ten of which came in the first two sets.

Lindsey Wilson remained close, taking a 22-20 lead late in the first set before junior middle blocker Chelsee Arnitz struck with three kills in Biola’s last five points. Arnitz recorded six kills in the first set, totaling 11 by game’s end.

Biola opened up the second set on a 7-2 tear, eventually opening up their biggest lead of the match, a 22-6 score, with help from elevated play from senior outside hitter Christine Douglas. Douglas, who had only one kill in the first set, came back in the second set with five of the team’s 17 second-set kills.

“We came out a little nervous,” Douglas said, “but we settled down fairly quickly and were able to remain strong throughout the match.”

Junior setter Gracie Gallarda set the table for Biola’s attack, assisting on 35 of the team’s 50 kills.

Two games remain in pool play, including tomorrow afternoon’s game against Missouri Baptist University in Sioux Falls, Iowa at 1 p.m. CST. Looming is Thursday’s rematch with Lee University, which will close out pool play before seeding begins for the championship’s bracket tournament.