Women’s soccer season ends in GSAC championship against Vanguard

The women’s soccer team fell to Vanguard University on Friday in the GSAC championship.

Ashleigh Fox/THE CHIMES

Laurie Bullock, Writer

Senior Stephanie Cubias looks out for Vanguard defenders as she heads toward the net. | Ashleigh Fox/THE CHIMES

The Eagles lost in the Golden State Athletic Conference title match on Friday against No. 5 Vanguard University. This is the first year that the women’s soccer team has made an appearance in the GSAC Tournament Championship.

The last time Biola played against Vanguard was at home on Oct. 13. Although they lost,  they were the first team to score against the Lions in the GSAC play.

Vanguard scored the first goal of the match within the first nine minutes. The Lions’ junior forward Jordan Davidson ran past Biola’s defense and put the ball in the net. After the goal the Eagles tightened their defense and did not allow Vanguard to score another goal in the first period, including a great save from sophomore goalkeeper Briana Williams who dived to save the ball from going into the net.

Biola had only a few chances to score in the first period because of the Lions’ tough defense. Senior forward Ashleigh Cooley had the chance to even the score in the 24th minute but was stopped by Vanguard’s goalkeeper Lauren Terry.

Vanguard scored again in the second period with 25 minutes left in the match. Vanguard forward Kayla Arenas scored against Williams after a scramble at the box, giving Vanguard a 2-0 lead.

Biola finally got on the board when senior midfielder Stephanie Cubias picked up a loose ball and kicked it past Terry. Unfortunately, Biola was not able to score another goal and lost to Vanguard 2-1.

The Eagles finish their season with 12-7-1 overall and 7-3 in GSAC.