Women’s swim team takes on Azusa Pacific in dual meet

The Biola Eagles hosted a women’s dual swim meet against Azusa Pacific University.

Freshman Abby Blake swims between two Azusa Pacific opponents in the 1650 Meter Freestyle at Biola’s pool on Saturday. | John Buchanan/THE CHIMES

Anders Corey, Writer

Freshman Abby Blake swims between two Azusa Pacific opponents in the 1650 Meter Freestyle at Biola's pool on Saturday. | John Buchanan/THE CHIMES

Freshman Abby Blake continued to break records for Biola swim as the Eagles hosted a women’s dual meet against Azusa Pacific University on Saturday.

Blake broke a 12-year standing record in the 1650 freestyle, taking first place in the event with a time of 18:01.57. Blake also won the 500 freestyle with a time of 5:19.19.

The Eagles and Cougars were tied at 102 following all the swimming events, but APU picked up 18 points in the diving end of the events to clinch the victory.

Sophomores Christine Tixier and Megan Nerud went 1-2 in the 400 IM with times of 4:42.90 and 4:58.39. Nerud also captured the 100-yard backstroke while Tixier claimed the 100-yard breaststroke.

Biola’s 200-yard freestyle relay team of Annabelle Chinchen, Angela Kirschner, Nerud and Tixier took first place with a time of 1:41.77.

The Eagles will dive back into the pool Saturday at the University of Redlands Bulldog Pentathlon.