Numerous first place finishes highlight swim invitational

The Eagles pick up 15 first place finishes with many coming from underclassmen at 2012 Malibu Invitational.

John Buchanan

Sophomore Austin Sarna competes in the 100 meter backstroke during the PCSC Pentathlon held at Splash! Aquatics Center on Saturday. Olivia Blinn/THE CHIMES

Katie Nelson, Writer

Sophomore Austin Sarna competes in the 100-meter backstroke during the PCSC Pentathlon held at Splash! Aquatics Center on Saturday, Oct. 13. | Olivia Blinn/THE CHIMES

The Biola swim team rounded out the 2012 Malibu Invitational hosted by Pepperdine University at the Raleigh Runnels Memorial Pool with several first-place finishes, many of them claimed by underclassmen.

Sophomore Christine Tixier sailed easily into first place out of 15 overall with a 2:07.63 in the women’s 200-yard butterfly event, beating out second place Loyola Marymount University by a full three seconds. Later in the day, Tixier also scored first in the women’s 50-yard butterfly with a 25.93, barely missing the meet record set in 2009 of a time of 25.92.

The first place trend continued with freshman Eric Sirjord claiming first in the men’s 200-yard butterfly with a time of 2:03.12. His nearest opponent finished with a time of 2:05.60.

Biola fell behind during the women’s 200-yard backstroke but managed to scrape by with sophomore Megan Nerud’s ninth-place 2:17.22, freshman Abby Blake’s 2:17.71 and freshman Sarah Shepard’s 2:20.05.

The Eagles rallied back though with sophomore Austin Sarna grabbing second place with a 2:18.43 in the men’s 200 yard breaststroke.

Biola continued to stack up first place finishes with senior Chris Stutzman’s 1:49.40 in the men’s 200-yard freestyle and 21.22 in the men’s 50-yard freestyle.

Freshman Brandon Hughes followed this pattern by placing first in both the men’s 50-yard butterfly and the men’s 100-yard backstroke with a 24.22 and a 56.75, respectively.