Volleyball defeats Master’s and Vanguard

With victories, Eagles improve to 22-2 overall and 8-1 in GSAC play

John Buchanan

18, Amy Weststeyn, MB, So. 9, Nicolette Mather, RS, Sr. 23, Tara Rallis, L/DS, Jr. 15, Charley Parker, L/DS, So. 21, Joclyn Kirton, OH, Fr. 6, Gracee Gallarda, S, Jr. October 20 John Buchanan/THE CHIMES

Anders Corey, Writer

Sophomore Amy Weststeyn, senior Nicolette Mather, junior Tara Rallis, sophomore Charley Parker, freshman Joclyn Kirton, and junior Gracee Gallarda form a team huddle to pump each other up for the next set. | John Buchanan/THE CHIMES

The women’s volleyball team continued their dominant play with victories over No. 8 The Master’s College and No. 21 Vanguard University.

The Eagles took on Master’s on Saturday, winning in straight sets over the Mustangs.

The first set was close with both teams exchanging points the entire way until Biola pulled out a 25-21 victory. The second set went a similar direction as the Eagles scored four straight points to finish off the set and win it 25-18. In the third set both teams stayed close until Biola surged to the finish with an 11-1 run and 25-13 win to sweep Master’s.

Sophomore Amy Weststeyn picked up 10 kills in the match and junior Tara Rallis added 15 digs for the Eagles.

Biola has won 44 straight matches against the Mustangs and is 47-1 all time in the series.

In the match against Vanguard, Biola faced a tighter match-up, winning 3-1.

The Eagles breezed through their first two sets. They won the first one on a 13-5 run and taking it 25-17; the Eagles kept that momentum going into the second set as they started it off on a 9-1 run and finishing the set with a score of 25-16.

In the third set, things got interesting between the Golden State Athletic Conference rivals. The team exchanged point for point, blow for blow until the Lions were able to scrap together two straight points and win the set 32-30.

The fourth set looked grim for the Eagles as they fell behind 17-9, but after a 10-3 run and a couple points exchanged and it was 23-23. After going up 24-23, Weststeyn and senior Christine Douglas combined to block the final point and give Biola the victory 3-1.

Biola will try to continue this dominance through the rest of the season and into their next game Thursday at 7 p.m. at home against Hope International University.