Men’s soccer takes much-needed road win against Arizona Christian

The Biola Eagles take the match 3-1 with only one game remaining in the regular season.

Tyler Gunhus, Writer

Doubts about the Eagles’ ability to play on the road were silenced Wednesday night as the men’s soccer team defeated Arizona Christian University 3-1 in Phoenix. The win marks the first victory away from Al Barbour field in almost a month.

Biola saw its rising stars shine early, as freshman midfielder Joey O’Keefe sent a ball into the box in the 31st minute to freshman forward Stephen Tanquary for his fourth goal of the season. Then, seven minutes into the second half, O’Keefe got on the scoring sheet himself and put Biola up 2-0.

After trying to claw their way back into the game, ACU notched a goal of their own in the 77th minute off a header from midfielder Jesse Gerkey. Despite many last-minute pushes by the Firestorm, Tony Montalvo sealed the victory for the Eagles. The senior midfielder found the back of the net with just under a minute to play as the men celebrated a key victory down the home stretch. Outshooting the Firestorm 20-7, the Eagles breathed a sigh of relief, earning the “W” and returning home with a 10-5-1 record.

With a 1-0 win against The Master’s College, Concordia University Irvine secured the regular season Golden State Athletic Conference title. Biola can still finish second with a win this Saturday night, at home against Master’s, as well as either a loss or a tie from San Diego Christian College. The Hawks stand with 19 points in the conference, one more than the surging Eagles.