Cross-country women take first place, men finish third

The Biola cross-country teams placed first in women’s and third in men’s at the NAIA West Coast Jamboree on Saturday.

Freshman Kellian Hunt leads the team in their race against Westmont. | Courtesy of Cross Country

Laurie Bullock, Writer

Biola’s cross-country teams finished strong at the Biola NAIA West Coast Jamboree meet at Irvine Regional Park on Saturday. The women’s team placed first for the second time in a row and the men’s took third.

The women’s team is currently ranked No. 5 in the NAIA and the meet was the women’s second first-place title of the season, after winning last week’s Vanguard Invitational meet.

The women scored 37 points with seven runners in the top 15. Westmont College came in second with 41 points and The Master’s College came in third with 58.

Freshman Kellian Hunt had the fastest time for Biola at 18:19 and came in second overall, only eight seconds behind junior Hannah Kellerman from The Master’s College. Fellow freshman Neysa Mains was close behind, placing fourth with a time of 18:35. Junior Chelsea Janzen finished in seventh place with a time of 18:49.

The men’s team scored 78 points, giving them a third-place finish overall. The Master’s College took first with an overall score of 26 points and Westmont came in second with 65 points.

Junior Danny Ledesma finished third overall for Biola with a time of 25:28, beating his personal record on the course by 26 seconds. Sophomore Andrew Daedler placed seventh with a time of 26:00 and senior Spencer Lyle beat his PR with a time of 26:05, taking five seconds off from last season.

Now that the regular season is over, Biola men and women will be competing in the Golden State Athletic Conference Championship on Nov. 3 at Irvine Regional Park.