Men’s soccer looks to finish GSAC strong

With only three Golden State Athletic Conference matches left, the men’s soccer team will try and get themselves a good seeding for playoffs.

Tyler Gunhus, Writer

Junior Daniel Chew attacks and scores in the game against Vanguard University on Saturday night. Ashleigh Fox/THE CHIMES

Despite finishing the past week with a 2-1 record, the Biola men’s soccer team continued to struggle against subpar teams on the larger scale.

The team made impressive strides over the past week, taking down two higher-standing conference foes to move to second in the Golden State Athletic Conference. The Eagles handed Vanguard University their first conference loss in a 4-1 shellacking at Al Barbour Field Saturday night.

With an equalizer goal from freshman midfielder Joey O’Keefe in the first half, and second half goals from senior midfielder Tony Montalvo and fellow midfielder and freshman Marshall Deogracia, as well as junior forward Daniel Chew, the Eagles displayed confidence in the midfield. The men were able to finish opportunities as they became available, something Biola has lacked the past few games.

Motivated by a last-minute win the previous Wednesday over San Diego Christian College, Biola cruised into victory port with a shiny 8-4-1 record. But the excitement was short-lived as the Eagles were defeated by Hope International University.

Eagles struggle on the road and against subpar opponents

After taking down two top GSAC opponents, but losing to Westmont College and Hope International University, quite a bit can be seen. These two losses have two things in common: they are not games played at home, and they are against teams with worse records.

With more than three quarters of the season finished, the Eagles begin to focus their gaze on postseason play.

Biola currently sits second overall with 12 points in the GSAC standings, six points back of conference leader Concordia University Irvine. Concordia has yet to lose a conference match and carries an overall record of 12-1-1. Closely following Biola are Vanguard and San Diego Christian with 11 and 10 points respectively. Hope and Westmont College stand tied for fifth with seven points apiece. The Master’s College sits in sixth with four points and finally, Arizona Christian rounds out the conference with no points to their name.

Final matches key for Eagles with playoffs on horizon 

Biola only has four more games remaining in the season and much has yet to be determined in the GSAC. With five points currently separating the second- and fifth-place teams, the standings look to get interesting here in the final weeks. Wins from Vanguard or SDCC could result in the Eagles’ losing footing in the standings.

If the season were to end today, Biola would carry a first-round bye going into the GSAC tournament and would move directly into the semifinals. The Eagles would more than likely face a No. 3 seeded Vanguard, the same team Biola handed a loss to this past weekend. More importantly, a No. 2 seed would guarantee home field advantage in the semis, something that Biola has put to use this season as they are 5-0 at home.

With a dominant showing this season from Concordia, the men’s biggest challenge this season will come this Saturday in a rematch at home against the CU Eagles. Biola lost the previous matchup earlier this season in Irvine but look for revenge, seeking to dethrone red-hot Concordia and move closer to first place in the conference.