Biola golfer Ava Lourenco wins San Marcos invite

Freshman Ava Lourenco is first Biola woman golfer to be individual medalist at a tournament as the team places second.

Grant Walter

Grant Walter/THE CHIMES

Anders Corey, Writer

Correction: Ava Lourenco did not tie for the title, but took sole possession of it by shooting a better back-nine score. The Chimes regrets this error.

Freshman Ava Lourenco made Biola women’s golf history becoming the first individual medalist, winning the California State San Marcos Co-Ed Invitational on Monday and Tuesday.

Lourenco shot a six-over, tying her for the first-place finish with Alyssa Waite of San Marcos. Lourenco claimed the title by shooting a better back-nine score than Waite with a 38 while Waite shot a 39.

Lourenco finished her first round with a score of 74, holding sole possession of a two-stroke lead over Vanessa Chap of San Marcos.

A second round 76 by Lourenco opened a door for Waite, who surged with a tournament best of 73 to catch up to Lourenco  and tie her for first place.

San Marcos dominated the invite on the women’s side, shooting a 48-over and topping Biola’s second place score of 103-over.

On the men’s side, senior Joshua Mathis came in tied for 11th place with Oscar Casillas of Point Loma Nazarene University. Mathis, who is coming off of a record-breaking performance in his last tournament, shot a 1-under overall with a 69 in the third and final round.

As a team the Eagles placed seventh out of eight teams with a 32-over, just one stroke behind Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University.

This is Biola’s final tournament of the semester. They will resume play in February.