Men’s soccer tops Vanguard in GSAC game

The Biola men’s soccer team defeated Vanguard University on Saturday with a 4-1 win.

Junior Daniel Chew attacks and scores in the game against Vanguard University on Saturday night. Ashleigh Fox/THE CHIMES

Tyler Gunhus, Writer

Junior Daniel Chew attacks and scores in the game against Vanguard University on Saturday night. | Ashleigh Fox/THE CHIMES

Men’s soccer continued to roll on through the Golden State Athletic Conference taking down Vanguard University Saturday night at Al Barbour Field. The 4-1 win moves the Eagles into second place in the conference with a 4-2 GSAC record, 8-4-1 overall.

After an early goal in the 20th minute from Vanguard midfielder Edgar Hernandez, it looked as though the Eagles might be in over their heads. The Eagles came in having only won one game this season when getting scored on first. The good news is the one win came on Wednesday night when the men came from behind to beat San Diego Christian College. The momentum must have carried over, because nine minutes later, freshman mid Joey O’Keefe put the Eagles on the board with his first collegiate goal, a beautiful shot to the right side that nicked off the post.

Continued pressure from Biola would prove too much for the Lions, as the Eagles got goals from midfielders Tony Montalvo and Marshall Deogracia, and forward Daniel Chew. With 19 shots to Vanguard’s 14, the Eagles eased into a victory as the second half became all about possession.

After posting another home victory in what is now a 5-0 record this season at Al Barbour Field, the men head back out on the road to take on Hope International University this Tuesday at 3 p.m. The Royals sit fifth in the GSAC standings with a 2-3-1 conference record and an 8-5-1 overall.