Women’s soccer drops to No. 10 Vanguard

Biola scores first goal against Vanguard from a GSAC opponent all season in 2-1 loss.

Sophomore Miranda Starbeck chases down the ball in Saturday’s game against Vanguard University. Ashleigh Fox/THE CHIMES

Laurie Bullock, Writer

Sophomore Miranda Starbeck chases down the ball in Saturday's game against Vanguard University. | Ashleigh Fox/THE CHIMES

​The Biola women’s soccer team lost on Saturday at home to the No. 10 Vanguard University Lions. The Eagle’s record is now 6-6-1 overall and 3-3-0 in Golden State Athletic Conference play.

​Biola was kept on the defensive end for most of the first half. Vanguard midfielder Charlotte Wisniewski put the ball right past Biola’s goalkeeper Briana Williams on the right side of the net just over a minute into the game giving them an early 1-0 lead.

The Eagles continued to battle Vanguard’s defense and attempted three shots before Vanguard’s Jordan Davidson took advantage of sophomore Williams vacating the net and scoring in the 21st minute, making it 2-0 Lions.

​Right after Vanguard’s goal, junior forward Jessica Austin put Biola on the board by making a breakaway goal starting 25 yards out. Biola was the first team to score against Vanguard in the GSAC this year.

​Both teams fought against each other in the second half. Biola’s defense intensified and they became more aggressive offensively. Unfortunately, the Eagles were not able to score another goal and lost to the Vanguard lions 2-1.

​The Eagles will face off in their next GSAC game at Hope International University on Oct. 17 at 3 p.m.