Biola slogs through first day of 2012 PCSC

The Biola swim and dive teams took part in the sixth annual Pacific Collegiate Swim and Dive Conference on Friday.

John Buchanan

Junior Monica Hurt swims the fly during the PCSC Relays held at Splash! Aquatics Center on Friday. Olivia Blinn/THE CHIMES

Katie Nelson, Writer

Junior Monica Hurt swims the fly during the PCSC Relays held at Splash! Aquatics Center on Friday. | Olivia Blinn/THE CHIMES

Correction: Biola completed the 200 free relay in 1:44.16, not 1:55.45. Concordia completed the same race in 1:47.09, not 1:58.71. The Chimes regrets this error.

Biola swim and dive struggled to keep up during Friday’s relay portion of the sixth annual Pacific Collegiate Swim and Dive Conference at Splash! La Mirada Regional Aquatics Center, placing last overall for the semi-total score.

Other teams competing in the event included Grand Canyon University from Phoenix, Ariz., California Baptist University, Fresno Pacific University, Loyola Marymount University, Concordia University Irvine, Azusa Pacific University and Pepperdine University.

The meet kicked off with the women’s 300 butterfly relay. The Eagles lagged behind for the duration of the event, earning them a tenth place finish while first place went to Grand Canyon University.

The Biola men’s team started out strong in their first event of the day, the 300 butterfly relay, but quickly fell behind Concordia. Biola caught up on the second leg but fell behind again for good, finishing seventh out of eight with a time of 2:47.74. 

One of the highlights of the meet was the women’s 200 free relay, which pitted Biola, Pepperdine and Concordia against each other. Concordia began gaining on the second leg but Biola stayed persistently ahead, easily clinching the heat with a 1:44.16. Concordia finished more than three seconds later with a 1:47.09. The Eagles finished seventh overall in the event.

Although Biola had difficulties throughout the entirety of the meet, freshman Kenny Alcosiba has high hopes for Saturday’s continuation of the meet, which features individual events.

“Hopefully, [we’ll] swim good times and cheer on the other teams,” he said. “I’m hoping to see times drop.”