Last minute goals lead to men’s soccer victory over San Diego Christian

The Biola men’s soccer team came up from behind with last minute goals to defeat San Diego Christian College.

Job Ang

Freshman Stephen Tanquary returned from a suspension to help the Eagles to a 2-1, last minute victory over San Diego Christian College. The Eagles scored once in the 87th minute and again in the 89th minute. | Job Ang/THE CHIMES

Tyler Gunhus, Writer

In 1985, little Mikey proclaimed to his gang and to many filmgoers that “Goonies never say die!” Wednesday night at Al Barbour field, men’s soccer proved that the phrase applies to the Eagles as well. Biola came back in the final moments with goals from sophomore forward Carlos Ballesteros and freshman midfielder John Hanscom to defeat Golden State Athletic Conference foes San Diego Christian College 2-1.

The Eagles looked to be unfocused for most of the match and appeared to have mentally not recovered from Saturday’s 5-0 loss to Westmont College. Halfway through the first half, SDCC forward Victor Flores played a through ball to forward Emmanuel Onywera to give the Hawks a 1-0 lead. With forwards Daniel Chew and Stephen Tanquary unable to get support from their mids, the Eagles found themselves chasing the ball for much of the evening.

Freshman keeper Joshua Crichton made several huge saves down the stretch but as the game drug on, it began to look bleak for the home squad. Then in the 87th minute, coach Kuderman decided to change up his attack and add another man up top, substituting on forwards Aren Lewis and Carlos Ballesteros. The move proved to be a crucial component in the win, as several seconds later, Ballesteros headed in the equalizer. Then, in the 89th minute, Hanscom delivered a ball to the back of the net from six yards out and proceeded to celebrate the game winner with his teammates.

Biola remain unbeaten at home with a 4-0 record, and move to 7-4-1 overall with a 3-2 conference record. The Eagles continue at home this Saturday night with a 7pm kickoff against Vanguard University. The men eager to prove to the rest of the conference that they are for real and that Eagles never say die.