Preparation underway for the Run for Micah 6:8

President Corey and Olympian Amy Atkinson to join the 300 participants in the Run for Micah 6:8

Jess Lindner

President Corey just before the 5K Run for Hope in Biola Weekend last fall. This year, he will be lacing up again to run for Micah 6:8. | Jessica Lindner/THE CHIMES [file photo]

Megan Cushman, Writer

As Biola Weekend approaches, the university is readying itself for the Run for Micah 6:8, a five-kilometer walk and run to be held on Oct. 6. During the race, Social Justice Ministry will be announcing its partnership with Prison Fellowship, a national organization dedicated to serving the imprisoned and their families.

Starting at $10 for guest runners and $5 for students, participants will begin the race at the bell tower and have the opportunity to run through campus alongside president Barry Corey and 2012 Olympian and Biola alumna Amy Atkinson. In addition, there will be prizes awarded for the top female and male times, live music and a T-shirt for all participants. Biola’s Social Justice Ministry and Prison Fellowship, as well as other student-led ministries, will be hosting a fair welcoming runners and walkers at the finish line.

Sarah McBeth, a sophomore nursing major, said her roommate convinced her to participate in walking the 5K. Since then, McBeth has been trying to connect with other students to walk with her and her roommate.

“It’s for a good cause,” McBeth said. “I’ve been to a couple Prison Ministry meetings. It’s really cool they’re in partnership [with Prison Fellowship].”

More than just a race

The event is dedicated to more than burning extra calories or flaunting a new shirt. The Social Justice Ministry will be announcing its partnership with Prison Fellowship during Biola Weekend, which runs from Friday to Saturday, to bring awareness to the human trafficking and prison ministries.

“We recognize God as a god of justice, but he also has a heart of mercy and love and forgiveness,” said Amanda Andrews, a senior political science major and former director of the Social Justice Ministry.

Andrews also stressed the importance of the chosen Bible verse for the run.

“Our verse is Micah 6:8 because it really reflects what God is telling us to live by as Christians, which is to love justice — to seek justice — but to also love mercy and to show others mercy and love,” she said.

Eleanor Poltorak, a sophomore nursing major and leader of Biola’s prison ministry, is excited for the opportunities presented to students through the run. With more than 300 expected participants, funds will allow members of Prison Ministry to continue with the services they’re planning for the year.

“It’s going to give a big boost to the awareness of prison ministry,” Poltorak said. “The Lord has been overwhelmingly blessing us with opportunities this year. We’re so excited.”

Money earned from the run will benefit victims of human trafficking in Compton, children receiving Angel Tree gifts, kids involved with Get on the Bus, and other ministries.

How to get involved

Students looking for more information on how to get involved with Social Justice Ministry’s prison ministry can attend an informational night Oct. 25 at 9:15 in Business 206.