University-wide celebration fast approaching

Biola will host a myriad of events this weekend as the university sees alumni and parent visitors.

Rachel Snyder and Rachel Snyder

Biola Weekend is coming on Friday and Saturday — a time when family and alumni will come together to take part in the variety of events hosted on campus.

“We’re combining alumni relations, parent relations, AS … kind of an all-campus open house,” said Don Bernstein, manager of Alumni Relations.

Last year, the marketing department was pleased with the turnout of Biola Weekend. By adding Punk ‘n’ Pie to the mix, they want to show students how fun returning to campus as an alumni can be. Bernstein says they are increasing awareness through a variety of marketing strategies, such Facebook ads and postings, campus TVs, reader boards, posters, mailed invitations and emails to alumni and families in order to get the word out.

The schedule includes a 5K run, seminars, concert  and, of course, food. This year, the weekend will kick off with walking tours of the campus’ new additions, study abroad seminars and a sold-out lunch and dialogue with professors. Later, an arts and crafts fair will be paired with a barbeque for all who attend.

Students will still need to swipe their cards at meals, or can purchase tickets. Attendees can go to the Biola Weekend 2012 Facebook page and register online to buy meal tickets.

Larger than in the past

Associated Students leaders and Alumni Relations have partnered together to bring alumni back to campus in support of Biola events, according to senior journalism major Michelle Orgill, AS Social event chair.

For the first time in Biola history, parents and alumni will be invited to watch Punk ‘n’ Pie — Biola’s annual talent and free pumpkin pie event — on Friday night, according to Don Bernstein, manager of Alumni Relations. Last year at the first Biola Weekend that combined parents, friends and alumni, there were 600 additional participants. With the expected increase in attendance at Punk ‘n’ Pie, AS is ordering 20 additional pies. 

Performers may be nervous with an expanded audience, but Bernstein says he doesn’t think the presence of parents will change the mood of the talent show.

“Parents are older than students — but they like to have fun and laugh too,” Bernstein said.

Julie Marmion, a freshman Spanish major, said the addition of parents and alumni won’t add pressure. She is excited for her parents to watch her perform on stage at Punk ‘n’ Pie.

For those not wanting to be among all the action in the gym, there will be a live stream of Punk ‘n’ Pie at the Fireplace Pavilion, where viewers can grab a cup of coffee, eat a slice of pie and walk through the outdoor art gallery.

Saturday morning, there will be a  Run for Micah 6:8 — a 5K run/walk put on by Social Justice Ministry. Participants will receive a T-shirt and will run alongside president Barry Corey and Biola Olympian Amy Atkinson. Prizes, music and fundraising for the Social Justice Ministry will all be a part of this event.

Following will be a brunch with Corey and a tea with Atkinson at Metzger Hall, to speak about her experiences in the 2012 summer Olympics.

AS Social Events member and graduating senior Brittany Watts is most excited for the T3 Talks, a series of talks by established alumni from different majors and walks of life.

“[It’s going to be] a really great way for students at Biola to see what alumni are doing with their lives,” Watts said.

To end Saturday night, there will be a Best of Biola dinner and silent auction on Metzger Lawn. Talbot dean Clint Arnold, student musicians and testimonies of their peers will be heard while dining. All proceeds from the auction will go directly toward student scholarships, according to the event schedule.

Volleyball game to end festivities

Afterward, Biola’s women’s volleyball team play against Concordia University Irvine.

"I am so excited for the girls’ volleyball game on Saturday night. Hopefully they will continue their winning streak,” sophomore business major Allison Cook said.

Although Cook is looking forward to all the events, she is most excited for her parents to visit campus.