AS Senate Rundown: Sept. 25, 2012

Senators heard six new proposals from students, including requests for funding film projects and different dorm events.

Grant Walter/THE CHIMES

unknown

Grant Walter/THE CHIMES

Kristina Nishi and Kristina Nishi

On Tuesday, Associated Students president Chris Yim, a senior, gave an update at the senate meeting about a few upcoming events and ideas. These include the AS and Student Missionary Union park day on Oct. 27, the Student Development dean’s council meeting and the plan to place prayer boxes around campus for students to drop their prayer requests in.

No proposals were passed because the meeting was centered around external proposals that Biola students brought to the table.

PENDING

• Sophomore film majors Melissa McAllister and Ivana Jiron requested $2,000 for their short film, “The Story I Heard,” which the two friends wrote over interterm. The film is currently in preproduction and will premiere in May 2013. The money would cover the cost of equipment, location fees and casting.

• Junior film major Erika Pontius requested $1,500 for the completion, advertising and premiere of “Still Have Questions,” a short film that she is producing. The free premiere will be held at Garden Hill Park on Oct. 30. All of the crew members go to Biola, and have been working on the film since May 2011.

“[The film] is under the guise of being a horror film, but it’s a satire as well,” Pontius said.

• Junior Larissa Clem requested $870 for Stewart Hall’s annual KiltFest. The money will be used for a root beer keg, games, advertising and prizes. This year, KiltFest will be held in the fall and will be a two-day event. ResLife is partnering with Stewart and the dorm has been able to cut the budget by more than 50 percent.

• Freshman William Langworthy requested $310.80 for a ping pong ball dispenser and balls for the Emerson Hall lobby. Residents build community and bond over playing ping pong together, but the game ends prematurely when a ball gets cracked or crushed, according to Langworthy. The dispenser would provide income, since people would pay for each ball they purchase.

• Sophomore senator Tristan Engh requested $1,442 for “Hart Loves Week.” The goal of this event, which started last year, is to build community within the dorm and across Biola’s campus. The money would cover food for the daily events and miscellaneous items, as well as one-inch buttons for students to wear.

• Alpha Hall sophomore senators Rebecca Gallagher and Nikki Garcia requested $1,300 for the dorm’s annual Candyland event. This will be the 11th year Alpha has hosted Candyland, and ResLife facilitates the event. The money will cover art supplies, butcher paper, advertising costs, rental equipment, prizes and candy.