Biola shuttle service expansion to include new routes and shuttle

The Biola shuttle service will be expanding this year by adding a new shuttle and routes to more locations, including the off-campus apartments.

Job Ang/THE CHIMES

Jonathan Gramenz and Jonathan Gramenz

Job Ang/THE CHIMES

During the first week of the semester, Biola commissioned  a second shuttle to offer students transportation to campus locations, including off-campus apartments.

The new shuttle has seen regular use by students traveling to and from the Block and La Mirada Apartments, according to Auxiliary Services. Since its commissioning, the new shuttle has averaged 28 passengers per day — about two passengers per hour-long route cycle.

The second shuttle cost about $48,000 and was purchased with the Auxiliary Services budget. The purchase expands the shuttle service that began last year when Auxiliary Services instituted the first Biola shuttle.

New transportation, routes to help students save money

The newly implemented route covers several different destinations including the university’s main entrance, the apartments, the professional building at La Mirada Boulevard and Imperial Highway, the Rancho Elementary School campus and the swimming pool, where the shuttles remain parked.

“[The purpose of the shuttle] is to provide an affordable alternative to car ownership and use for the Biola community,” said Auxiliary Services assistant manager Jonathan Rowley. “Between this program and WeCar, we feel that residents have viable and affordable alternatives to bringing their car to campus. This can save students money.”

The older shuttle — that services entertainment and convenience venues on Fridays and Saturdays — is averaging about four passengers per hour route cycle.

“We’ve advertised directly to the parties most likely to use the second shuttle,” Rowley said.

This ad plan involved communication with apartment resident coordinators and with the departments working at the Rancho campus and the professional building.

Students enthusiastic after riding shuttle

After taking a ride on the shuttle, several students had nothing but praise for their experience.

“I really appreciate the service. Because of the growing off-campus population, in a few years it’s going to be needed. It may not be popular now, but this gives the service time to work out bugs and make useful routes,” said sophomore Christian ministries major Nick Hahn.

The development of the shuttle service is progressing. Information Technology and University Communications & Marketing have been collaborating on a live shuttle-tracking website for students to use. Once it is live, students will be able to check the location of the shuttle in real time online.

“We’re excited to be offering this new service to Biola and we hope that it proves to be a blessing to the whole community,” Rowley said.