Students need to change mindset about dress code

Students should observe the dress code as a means of witnessing Christ to others.

Megan Mann and Megan Mann

Many students may not be aware that Biola has something of a dress code. It is referred to as the community's modesty standard. It exists to guide students in maintaining a Christian witness when it comes to appearance, according to the student handbook.

This set of standards is fairly succinct and straightforward, containing items such as “no short shorts,” “shirts are to be worn at all times,” and “no strapless or backless shirts.” A guideline is also included enveloping each of the more specific statements which articulates that students are to be “dressing in such a way not to draw another's attention.” I've been convinced of late that this modesty standard, sadly, holds little to no influence over how members of the Biola community are presenting themselves through dress.

Policy part of community standards

Truthfully, we are all guilty. We have all seen these standards being broken in some form, whether with blatant intent or sheer ignorance of their existence altogether. But let's be honest. Most of us are well aware when the standard is being pushed, but we simply lack conviction or care. I realize I cannot speak absolutely on behalf of every student here, but it seems true that most of us know the motivation behind the way that we dress. We are — usually — not stupid, but instead are all too aware and extremely intentional in this area. There is good news, however: We can easily be just as instrumental and intentional in dressing modestly as we are in dressing for the sake of cheap and fleeting attention.

Do you realize that as Biola students we choose to pay more than public school students especially for the benefit of certain community dynamics, such as a dress code? And other community standards too, of course. The lovingly placed Christian boundaries which create the unique atmosphere that Biola has are just what differentiate it from a Cal State or UC. You may be drawn toward frustration at the number of rules, codes, policies and standards by which Biola students are expected to live. It is certainly tempting to think, “You know what, quite frankly I'm not perfect and just can't keep them all.” Don't fret — none of us are able to keep them perfectly! We mustn't view them as a burden, but rather as an avenue to freedom.

Dress code in place to help witness for Christ

Let me briefly explain what I mean by that. It seems that most rules exist in one place not to rob fun and happiness, but rather to create freedoms in another area. Consider our dorms’ quiet hours policy, for example. To the noisy person this seems a pesky, constricting, burdensome rule reluctantly followed only because someone in authority said it must be. When quiet hours are observed, however, the freedom exists for other students to obtain rest, which gives them the freedom to be alert in class and the freedom to earn better grades because they were able to pay attention and stay awake. So what freedoms are allotted to our brothers and sisters here when the modesty standards are observed? They are free to avoid the temptation to lust, perhaps. They are free to stay focused on their task at hand. Let's together consider and let sink in what freedoms we may be mindlessly robbing our classmates of when we dress with impure or corrupt intentions.

Believe it or not, the Biola modesty standards exist not to annoy or inconvenience you. They exist so that you may be free to be a witness for Christ centered around what pleases him, not what makes you feel approved of and affirmed. So let's stop fooling ourselves. Stop validating one another in our obvious attention-drawing dress.

Perhaps we’re prone to seek affirmation from others through appearance because we lack confidence in the knowledge of Christ’s unconditional affections and approval toward each of us. He wants us to be who he’s made us to be, and that may be expressed in the clothes that we choose to wear. But in response to his assured love for us, let's flee from a conniving spirit and together welcome a manner of dress that says, “How can I most please God and care for my brothers and sisters?” instead of continuing in the mindset that wonders, “Just how far can I push it?”

3.3 3 votes