Staff Editorial: despite busy schedules, students need to take political responsibility

Biola students need wake up from political apathy and remember that political decisions still have a large impact today.

Chimes Staff and Chimes Staff

We have a million things on our minds as students: homework, jobs, careers, internships, you name it. Each and every one of those things has an obvious, immediate effect on our lives, so big-picture notions like politics receive little attention. But we have to remember that we are citizens of this world — though temporarily — and we ought to devote time toward making it the kind of world we are proud to live in and leave to our children.

Our lives are affected by the policies argued about on CNN and Fox News. We are inundated as students by various opinions. However, it is of extreme importance that we do research for ourselves. What are the facts? Do the popular opinions have a factual base? Do my opinions have a base? This isn’t to say every man, woman and child needs to devote so much time that they are as informed as our senators. Our country has senators so that we can go about our passions and trust our representatives to look out for our best interests. But when electing those senators and our president, we need to pay enough attention to put the people in power that we do trust — rather than leaving all the politics to politicians. Stay clear of conspiracy and think and pray about who is best equipped and prepared to lead this country. Once a candidate is elected — like them or not — pray for them. Scripture mandates prayer for our authorities in Romans 13. Pray that God would lead them and honor and glorify himself through them and through their decisions.

Apathy has no place in a nation founded on political revolution

Looking at the current political climate, it is evident that the leaders of our nation need our prayers. The political waters thrash, bang and whine more with each election season. Steering a ship through the unnavigable surge of fishy tax records, affairs and elusive birth certificates is a hard mission to sign up for. And those are just the scandals. Then come the differences of opinion on health care, economic stimulus and life during wartime. The legacy of our generation is one  of countercultural angst and apathy, an utter disregard for the political. The political machine stays the same because of the common person’s apathy. There is no ethic permitting complaint if we do not partake in the process. This country’s revolution into freedom started as a bunch of well-founded opinions.

Great statesmen like James Madison and Alexander Hamilton were the celebrity stars of 300 years ago. Perhaps that is a reflection of how our nation has changed since then, when the stars of today are people like Kim Kardashian and Snooki. The funny thing is, politics is just as important today as it always has been. Isn’t it true that politics forms the history of tomorrow? Our country has grown in political apathy, and this apathy is no less present on Biola’s campus than anywhere else. This is evident even in school elections, and as presidential elections draw near, we must find a way to change this. As our country stands on the brink of change, it is imperative that our generation begins to counter this apathy.