Winter and spring sports review

Biola sports teams wrap up their seasons with overall success.

As the academic semester comes to a close, so does the season for winter sports teams. Each team has had its victories, losses, ups and downs over the past season and now look forward to next year.

Swim and dive and basketball have successful seasons

Biola’s swim and dive team finished out the season with one of its strongest seasons in the program’s history, with 14 new school records established and 15 top-eight finishes. The Biola men’s team placed sixth and the women’s team placed seventh at the NAIA Swimming and Diving National Championships. The 4×100 men’s relay team — consisting of freshmen Nick Steadman and Austin Sarna, senior Nathan Roe and junior Chris Stutzman — became the highlight of the season when it set its fifth school record for the relay this year with a time of 3:04.95.

Both men’s and women’s basketball fared well this season. The men reached the NAIA Quarterfinals for the third consecutive season and ended with a 27-9 record, finishing with a ten-game winning streak. Junior Given Kalipinde led the team in scoring, ranked 19th in steals for the Golden State Athletic Conference and won conference player of the week twice. The women’s team reached the NAIA tournament for the fourth consecutive time. Senior guard Charrise Reece was the top defensive guard in the conference, managing to rack up a total of 144 assists for the Eagles. The women finished out their season with a 23-10 record.

Softball and baseball both have numerous All-GSAC honors

Biola’s softball team finished out their season with a 15-29 record. The Eagles struggled on the road, winning no away games, but the team’s high point was reached in February with a three game at-home win streak. Junior outfielder Chelsea Limm was named to the Capital One Academic All-District Softball Team and is now eligible for honors as a member of the district’s first team. Sophomore CeCe Luster and freshman Brooke Madrid were named to the 2012 All-GSAC team. This is Luster’s second season being honored. 

Biola baseball ended their season with a 26-29 overall record. The team advanced to the opening round of the 2012 NAIA National Championship in Daytona Beach, Fla.; however, the team came one strike short of a victory and advancing. Of note was senior infielder Drake Fages’ home run streak in which he hit six home runs in five consecutive games, along with senior Vinnie Fayard and junior Chris Baek being named to the All-GSAC team.

Golf, tennis and track and field wrap up spring seasons and move toward next year

Biola women’s golf finished their season at the 2012 NAIA Qualifier Tournament with a fifth-place finish. Junior Lauren Marlow was the top finisher for the Eagles; she finished in 11th place shooting 163. On the men’s side, the Eagles ended the 2012 season at the NAIA Unaffiliated Grouping Golf Tournament. Here the Eagles had one of their best matches in program history. Sophomore Kyle Schrader led the team to a fifth-place finish and tied for sixth place overall.

Men’s tennis finished off their season 5-14 overall while the women finished off with a 1-22 overall record. A big part of their season was philanthropic; the men’s and women’s teams both joined together to serve over 87 children for Kid’s Day, a day where the team sought to inspire children and teach tennis.

Biola’s track and field ended their outdoor track season on a high note, placing fourth in the GSAC championships. The championship was one of the strongest meets in the program’s history. Sophomore Jordan Smith had a strong performance, tying for second overall in the high jump, clearing 6 feet, 7 inches. Also of note was senior Nychele Fischetti’s fourth-place finish in the 1,500-meter run, finishing at 4:43.86. The team brought home a total of five GSAC titles.

Although the spring team’s competitive seasons are be over, students and faculty alike can look forward to the upcoming fall season that will be awaiting at the end of the summer.