Eagles advance to NAIA Outdoor Track and Field National Championships

The outdoor track and field teams finished fourth this season in the Golden State Athletic Conference Championships.

Anders Corey, Writer

The Biola men’s track and field team wrapped up their 2012 outdoor season with a program best performance at the Golden State Athletic Conference Championships, finishing in fourth place and topping last year’s fifth-place finish. The women also came in fourth place; Azusa Pacific University took first on both sides.

Eagles take home five titles in day one

The team opened up day one with five titles: four individual and one relay. Sophomore Taylor McCahon, the top seeded pole vaulter in the NAIA, took home the women’s pole vault title while on the men’s side, Biola junior Alex Calkins took the GSAC title.

Senior Nychele Fischetti posted a time of 11:02.27 in the steeplechase to take the title and record the second fastest score this year in the NAIA.

Junior Collin Christensen took the 10,000-meter title with a time of 32:06.26, beating out Azusa’s Zach Ginn by four seconds.

A 4×800 women’s relay team, consisting of seniors Katie Thede, Carissa Bowman, Brooke Forsi and sophomore Alexandra Sciarra, won the GSAC Championship with a time of 9:28.13 to wrap up day two.

Biola finishes championship with strong day two

Day two for the Eagles resulted in no first place finishes, but a handful of high finishes. Sophomore Jordan Smith placed second in the high jump, sixth in the long jump and eighth in the triple jump.

Fischetti followed up her steeplechase championship with a fourth-place finish in the 1500m and a fifth-place finish in the 800m in which Forsi took third and senior Jane Kerner took eighth.

The men’s team finished with 105 total points, trailing Westmont College’s third-place 137.5, Fresno Pacific University’s second-place 154.5 and Azusa’s 221 first-place finish.

The women’s team picked up 107 points with Westmont, Fresno and Azusa ahead of them scoring 125, 169.66 and 223.33 points respectively.

The Eagles move on to the NAIA Outdoor Track and Field National Championships in Marion, Ind. May 24-26.