Fall convocation kicks off a new school year

With a call to be “champions of a Biblical worldview,” President Barry Corey introduced the new school year on Wednesday, Aug. 25 during the Fall 2008 Convocation in front of a packed audience in Chase Gymnasium.

Hundreds of students were still flooding into the gym even as the event began; many settling for a seat on the ground or a space to stand near the back wall.

Corey gave his presidential address in front of a gray curtain draped across the front of the gym with red lights shining through the fabric. Across the back of the stage, seven banners named each of Biola’s individual schools.

Corey praised Biola’s work thus far in the world, noting that there are few Christian universities today who are in their second century. He listed the convictions of Biola, including holding the Bible in high esteem, caring about students, providing excellent teaching and celebrating the school’s traditions.

“I truly believe now is the moment that our educational work is more important than ever before,” Corey said in his address. “Some might say we’re out of step with higher education. I say we’re right on track.”

He also looked toward the future with specific goals, saying he wants Biola to “expand access and affordability” to students, and be a “first responder to major issues of the day.”

“This is year number one of century number two,” he said. “We will, Biola University, serve the world.”

The ceremony began with “Holy, Holy, Holy” led by Shawna Stewart, an assistant professor in the Conservatory of Music. Corey followed the song with a series of call and response interactions with the audience that included passages of scripture and blessings.

Associated Students President Eric Weaver, AS Vice President Cami Cress and Dr. Chris Grace, vice president of Student Development and University Planning, welcomed the new students who were seated in folding chairs on the floor of the gym or packed in special reserved sections of the bleachers.

“They are the Facebook generation,” Grace said about the new class of freshmen, the largest class in Biola history. “They love SpongeBob SquarePants; they grew up watching a purple dinosaur named Barney.”

Twenty-eight new faculty members from departments across Biola were also introduced during the ceremony. As a group, they read statements of commitment to Biola’s principles and its students.

New students were given a small towel, similar to the rally towels of sports events, as a symbol of Jesus’ servant-hood in washing the feet of his disciples. Corey said the mementos will remind students to serve and love others the way Jesus did.

“With these as our shared goals, we’ll celebrate many milestones along the way,” Corey said.

The morning ended with an updated version of “All Creatures of Our God and King,” and a prayer from Patricia Pike, vice provost.