Biola men’s basketball to play for GSAC championship

Biola beat Point Loma Nazarene University 71-65 on Saturday night, securing a trip to the Golden State Athletic Conference.

Zachary Fu, Writer

Senior Davey Hopkins scored a game-high 18 points to lead the Biola men’s basketball team to a 71-65 win over Point Loma Nazarene University on Saturday night, clinching the Eagles’ first trip to the Golden State Athletic Conference Tournament Finals in 10 years. Junior Kaimarr Price added 16 points and nine rebounds while junior Given Kalipinde contributed 14 points.

Red-hot Eagles use consistency to beat Sea Lions

The Eagles are the tournament’s No. 3 seed and have now won 12 of their last 13 games. Although the Sea Lions are out of the GSAC tournament, they are almost guaranteed an at-large berth to the NAIA National Tournament.

Biola led for the entire game, responding with baskets each time Point Loma used a run to close the gap. The Eagles opened the game with a 13-5 lead, but the Sea Lions cut that lead to one with a 7-0 run. Biola answered with a free throw followed by a 3-pointer by freshman Dakota Anderson to go back up by five. The Eagles entered halftime with a 33-25 advantage.

The second half was very similar to the first, with Point Loma using scoring runs to close the gap and Biola responding and pulling ahead again. Kalipinde had a huge second half where he scored 12 of his 14 points, while adding three assists, four rebounds, and a steal.

The Sea Lions had four players who scored in double-figures with Greg Murray and Wil Bush each recording 16 points.

Biola looks to remain perfect against Concordia in 2012

The Eagles’ three previous trips to the GSAC Tournament Championship Game were all against Azusa Pacific University, and each ended with the Cougars coming out on top. Biola fans were anxious to find out whether Azusa would again be the Eagles’ opponent in the Finals, but the Cougars fell to Concordia University in the semi-finals on Saturday.

NAIA No. 19 Biola will play No. 4 Concordia University at Concordia for the GSAC Tournament Championship game on Tusday, March 6 at 7:30 p.m. The Eagles are 2-0 against Concordia this season.