After hiatus, Biola Radio sings again

New staff on board to jumpstart broadcasts

Senior Rudy Ramirez broadcasts at Biola Radios on-campus studio on Monday night. Several students have launched their own news and sports shows through the online station.

Photo by Kelsey Heng

Senior Rudy Ramirez broadcasts at Biola Radio’s on-campus studio on Monday night. Several students have launched their own news and sports shows through the online station.

Originally published Sept. 25, 2007

Biola as a community continually seeks ways to better integrate students. Whether it is across the campus, or across the world, we are a part of a larger community of alumni, current students and students yet to come. We eat together in the cafeteria, we profess the same faith, and support each other in our efforts, whether they find an outlet in sports, academics or other creative ways.

Yet many people do not know about some of the media available to Biola students, produced by Biola students. There’s EagleVision, the student-run news program on campus, as well as LATE, our weekly late night entertainment show, and finally Biola’s latest venture, Biola Radio. Biola Radio has been non-operational for a few years now, and with the continual influx of students into an ever-growing Cinema and Media Arts program combined with the illustrious history of Biola Radio, it became clear that the station needed to be reinstated.

In 1922, the Bible Institute of Los Angeles launched their own station, KJS, which was the first station to be wholly devoted to religious programming in Los Angeles, and the second in the entire United States. By 1930 these weekly broadcasts had become a popular show called The Biola Hour that featured music and biblical preaching. By 1946, 183 stations carried it across the nation, and the Biola Hour broadcast well into the 1980s. Since that time, the station has fallen into disuse and disrepair, especially with the advent of CDs and other personal media devices in recent years.

Efforts have been made to restore the station, but failed due to a variety of reasons, among them, lack of support and too few resources. Getting the station to operational use has been a challenge, but not impossible. With new wiring, new systems in place and a strong staff committed to Biola as well as to excellence in broadcast journalism, Biola Radio is ready to go.

Eric Mancino, a Biola alumnus, was brought on to teach the Radio practicum class as well as to revitalize and oversee the station along with Melodie Turori, an experienced broadcaster and Palomar college alumna. With a slew of new broadcasters ready to try their hands at the medium, the station will provide news from Biola and around the world, as well as coverage of our sporting events, entertainment information, music and a variety of other shows. And though the first few weeks may find this crop of fresh broadcasters with a few slight technical hiccups here and there, in no time the station should be producing consistent quality news and shows.

In this age of personal disconnect, with the value of individual interest at the cost of all else, we ought to be continually seeking out ways to reconnect with those around us, through words, through actions, always looking for that common ground. Biola Radio has held an important place in the history of both Biola and Los Angeles, and in its current incarnation will continue to influence, uphold and most importantly, bring together the community of Biola.

Biola Radio is streaming 24/7 at http://biolaradio.biola.edu, and if you would like to get more involved, send an email to [email protected]