Women’s basketball advances to GSAC semifinals

The women’s basketball team won 65-53 against San Diego Christian College on Feb. 29.

Alexandra Campos, Writer

In an emotional battle against San Diego Christian College, the Biola women’s basketball team emerged with a 65-53 victory in the first game of the Golden State Athletic Conference Tournament on Wednesday night, Feb. 29.

Westmont jumps out to early lead

It was a tight first half as San Diego struggled to maintain a solid lead over Biola. The Hawks managed to make 37.04 percent of their field goals in the first half with Brittany Daniel leading them in points while the Eagles managed a low 24 percent. Late in the first period the Hawks took their biggest lead, 20-15 with a layup by one of their top scorers, Juanita Lewis.

The Eagles trailed 22-19 at half time and went down by four in the opening minutes of the second half but the game turned quickly. With 9:46 left in the game, a steal by sophomore Adijat Adams and an assist by freshmen Amy Freet led to a layup from junior Becca DeVere’s down the middle of the court, putting the Eagles up by three. From then on, the Eagles did not let go of their lead as the Hawks trailed by up to 12 late in the game. Adams and San Diego’s Lewis, both received technical fouls after a foul and altercation; referees ruled that Adams was to be ejected from the game.

Seniors have big nights, lead to the way in Biola victory

Senior Charrise Reece led the Eagles with 18 points and six assists, senior Emily Drews played 36 minutes and managed six rebounds, senior Lauren Gustafson scored eight points and had four assists. With 16 points and a total of 11 rebounds, Adams was also a big factor in this win.

The Eagles will now move on to the GSAC tournament semifinals and play their next game against Westmont College in Santa Barbara, Calif. on March 2 at 7:30 p.m.