Baseball’s Verhoeven wins 500th as Eagles split road trip

The baseball team won two games and lost two this week.

Anders Corey, Writer

Biola baseball head coach John Verhoeven won his 500th career game as the Eagles defeated the University of British Columbia 7-2 Thursday, Feb. 16. Junior Benji Sutherland and sophomore Johnny Farrington came through for the Eagles, collecting three hits apiece in the game.

Biola followed up this game by dropping the second game of their Northern California trip to British Columbia 7-6 and then splitting the two games against Simpson University, losing 8-1 and winning 15-5.

In his 15 years here, Verhoeven has become Biola’s all-time winningest coach with a record of 501-253-6.

“It was really cool to see coach Hoov win his 500th game, and realize the effect he has had on the Biola baseball team after 14 years, completely turning around the direction of Biola baseball,” Sutherland said.

In the first game against Simpson University the Eagles struggled early with the Red Hawks getting out to a 4-0 lead through three innings.

Covyeau continues to mash on road trip

Biola’s lone run came off of a home run from senior catcher Nick Covyeau, giving him four on the year. Senior outfielder Vinnie Fayard also had a good game offensively for the Eagles going two-for-four.

Adrian DeMar got the start for Simpson and lasted six innings, giving up one run while striking out eight.

To close out the road Biola dominated Simpson 15-5, leaving Redding on a high note.

Annunziata stars as Turner struggles in 15-5 win

Sophomore Michael Annunziata led the Eagles going two-for-three with three RBIs and a double. Biola racked up 13 hits in the game with four players collecting two hits each.

Junior Nick Turner started for the Eagles and struggled for the first time this year, allowing four runs off six hits in 4.1 innings. Sophomore Erick Allen tossed 3.2 in scoreless relief, allowing one hit and striking out three.

With the victory, Biola concluded a 10-day stretch of 10 games that has worn on the team. The Eagles are 6-7 overall and have dropped six of their last nine.

“This long stretch of games has opened our team’s eyes to the areas in which we still need to get better in,” Sutherland said. “We are still struggling with our pitchers settling down and throwing strikes, along with scoring runners with less than two outs.”

The Eagles open up Golden State Athletic Conference play with a game on Thursday, Feb. 23, and Friday, Feb. 24, at Azusa Pacific University. Then they come home Saturday, Feb. 25, for a double header against the Cougars to close up the regular season rivalry.