Categories:

AS Senate Rundown: Jan. 31, 2012

AS senators held their first meeting for the spring semester and immediately passed one proposal on Jan. 31.

AS senate jumped into spring semester and heard two new proposals on Tuesday, Jan. 31, one of which was passed immediately.

• Senior Kelsey Seitz, vice president of services, announced the Eddy would take place on Feb. 9. Clubs Fair will be held Feb. 15-16 and will include lemonade, popcorn and cotton candy.
  • Junior Nancy Davong, multi-cultural relations chair, requested $1,200 for the Student Congress on Racial Reconciliation Conference taking place at the end of February. The 15th annual conference, which saw more than 500 Biola students last year, will see visitors from Azusa Pacific University, George Fox University, Moody Bible Institute and other Christian schools. Funds will go toward facilities costs.
  • Natasha Cheeley, AS clubs director, requested $166.88 to refill one helium tank owned by AS. University Communications & Marketing had previously allowed AS to use their helium tank but denied the latest request, due to multiple upcoming events UCM will host this semester, Cheeley said. The funds will also be used toward a new tank valve and to return a second tank to the company that loaned it to the school.
  • Cheeley’s proposal was passed unanimously after the senate determined that AS would ultimately be more self-sufficient by refilling the tank, as leftover helium would provide balloons for a number of years.

“The fact that we keep taking it from another department is kind of embarrassing,” said senior Hannah Mason, the Block senator. “If we’re going to be our own organization, we should at least have our own helium.”