Honor system discourages accountability

Because it tempts students to be dishonest, Matthew Beckwith says honor system should have no place in a Christian community.

Matthew Beckwith, Writer

All Biolans have a few things in common: We all profess Christianity, have crushes on C.S. Lewis, love complaining about Biola’s dating dynamics (seriously though, let’s tone it down) and are required to take Bible classes. And, we all have encountered the honor system in our classes. We’ve all checked a box to indicate completion of the assigned reading and some of us have even had the honor of grading our own papers. The honor system is generally thought to promote integrity, and since we are all Christians here, we would like to believe that we can trust each other.

Staying accountable in community

It would be great if we could trust each other, but we need systems of accountability to keep us in check. It’s like my granddaddy used say to me, “I don’t trust you.” Now to be fair, he did have Alzheimer’s, but his lack of trust in humanity was a very Christian belief. You may not be convinced of the validity of that statement, but hear me out.
A basic tenet of Christianity, as it says in Romans 3:23, is that humans are flawed, fallen, sinful beings. As Christians we have a strong desire to do what is right, but we understand that we are unable to trust ourselves. That is why we need a savior and why we need a community of fellow Christians to hold us accountable.

Honor system promotes indirect accountability

The honor system assumes the opposite about human nature — that humans are essentially trustworthy. It assumes that absolute integrity can exist without direct, relational accountability. Therefore, the honor system is un-Christian and downright un-American! Okay, maybe it isn’t necessarily un-American, but it stands in stark contrast to Christian beliefs. The lack of direct accountability increases opportunity for temptation. Considering the many pressures associated with good grades, it is a system that welcomes abuse and does not encourage real integrity in the context of accountability.

At an academic institution, systems in the classroom should only promote hard work, academic excellence and real accountability toward these, not indirect accountability. Look at pornography for instance. No, don’t look at pornography; consider the issue of pornography. Porn is a widespread problem because it is easily accessible and easy to get away with. If someone wants to make a serious effort to stop watching porn, the honor system is not a good course of action. We know we can’t trust ourselves and we need systems in place to hold us accountable. The Bible instructs us to flee from temptation. First Corinthians 10:13 says that when we are faced with temptation God will “provide a way of escape.” Sometimes that escape route is a system of accountability to keep us away from temptation. Intentionally placing ourselves in tempting situations to prove our integrity is not only foolish, but prideful. It places trust in our own righteousness and strength.

I understand that many students are able to stand up to this temptation and honestly record their academic work, but there are also many who succumb to this temptation. Professors who use the honor system understand that some students will cheat. They put a system in place knowing full well that that system will cause some students to stumble. Good systems create accountability by rewarding desired behavior and having consequences for undesired behavior. The honor system puts students through unnecessary temptation and breeds dishonesty. It puts faith in our own strength, integrity and righteousness. With an understanding of our inability in these areas, the honor system has no place in a Christian community.

Matthew is a senior who works for The Chimes as the Advertising Manager.