Women’s volleyball upsets No. 4 Embry-Riddle

The women’s volleyball team won against Embry Riddle University on Dec. 1 to earn a record of 3-0 at the national volleyball championships.

Joseph DeClercq, Writer

Biola remains undefeated following pool play

The NAIA No. 9 Biola University volleyball team defeated the No. 4 Embry Riddle University Eagles in five sets on Thursday to come out of NAIA pool play 3-0 at the national volleyball championships.

Biola wins after 2-0 deficit for the first time all year

After falling behind two sets to none, Biola rallied back to win the next three. This was the first time all season Biola had won after falling behind 2-0. Freshman Amy Weststeyn led all players with 19 kills along with Embry-Riddle’s senior Abby Hall and junior Jordan Holcomb. Biola senior Sarah Schweiger added 15 kills and junior Nicolette Mather had 12.

Emrby-Riddle took the first two sets by final scores of 25-17 and 25-18. Biola rallied back to win the next two 25-18 and 25-20 before taking the fifth and final set 17-15.

The teams played a very evenly matched game. Biola’s .199 attack percentage barely bested Embry-Riddle’s .197 and Biola recorded just three more digs with 89. Embry-Riddle tallied 67 kills to Biola’s 62.

Biola still in hunt for NAIA title

Both team’s have already secured a trip to the next round, a single-elimination bracket featuring the top-12 teams. However, Biola enters that bracket boasting a pristine 3-0 tournament record after pool play compared to Embry-Riddle’s 2-1 record.

Biola’s next game has been undetermined.