Men’s basketball beats San Marcos, blows past Arizona Christian

The men’s basketball team has a record of 5-1 after their recent wins against California State University San Marcos and Arizona Christian University.

Zachary Fu, Writer

The Biola men’s basketball team added two more wins to their record with a 10-point victory against California State University San Marcos on Wednesday, Nov. 16, and a 26-point blowout against Arizona Christian University on Saturday, Nov. 26. The Eagles are now 5-1 on the season.

Toughest win of the season against San Marcos

Junior Andre Murillo powered Biola to a 66-56 victory against CSU San Marcos with a double-double of 26 points and 12 rebounds. Most of his points were put-backs off of missed shots. Junior Given Kalipinde added 15 points and nine rebounds, while sophomore Zack Zaragoza scored 11 points and grabbed six rebounds.

Murillo got the Eagles off to a quick start, scoring their first two baskets and pouring in 14 points in the first half alone. However, as the first half wore on, the Cougars’ defense presented several problems for the Eagles. Biola kept a slight lead until a jumper by San Marcos’ Tim Steed put them up by one with 8:54 remaining in the half. The Cougars stayed ahead for the rest of the half and led by one at intermission, 27-26.

The Cougars made it clear in the first half that they had very talented individuals, but the Eagles’ teamwork and strong defense in the second half is what earned them the victory.

“Given played unbelievably … and it wasn’t just him alone, it was a team effort,” Murillo said.

The Eagles finally regained control of the game three minutes into the second half on a 3-pointer by Zaragoza to give them a 33-32 advantage. Biola increased the lead for the rest of the game, leading by 13 with 2:33 left in the game.

Biola struggled with turnovers, giving the ball up 15 times against the extremely athletic San Marcos team.

This was the first win this season where Biola really faced adversity; every other win was by 19 points or more.

“That game was just so big for us because we were unified, we were a unit, we played unselfishly, we trusted each other,” Murillo said. “We had to come together against a team like San Marcos.”

Eagles defeat Arizona Christian for second time this season

On Saturday, Nov. 26, Biola cruised to an 82-56 win at Arizona Christian University. It was the second time this season that the Eagles dominated the Firestorm.

Biola had a well-rounded offensive performance; almost every Eagle that played scored. Murillo led the way and scored a game high with 28 points and recorded his fifth double-double by also pulling down 13 rebounds.

Freshman Kyle Bailey had 12 points and six rebounds, while junior Chase Adams and Zaragoza each added 10 points.

The Eagles got off to a strong start in the first period and headed to halftime with an impressive 42-17 lead. In the second half, the Firestorm caught on — scoring more than double the points that they did in the first — but they posed no threat to Biola.

The Eagles once again struggled with turnovers, giving up the ball on 18 occasions. However, according to Bailey, it had more to do with miscommunication than with poor ball handling.

“I don’t think anything like attitudes or egos get in the way, it’s nothing like that,” Bailey said. “Sometimes we just don’t communicate as well because we don’t know each other as well. … That’ll change for sure in the next couple games.”

Biola started the season with five strong wins, but the schedule gets tougher as they open up Golden State Athletic Conference play against Vanguard University on Saturday, Dec. 3 in Chase Gymnasium at 7:30 p.m.