Volleyball easily defeats Spring Hill in NAIA playoffs

The women’s volleyball team won 3-0 against Spring Hill College in the first round of the NAIA Volleyball National Championships.

Joseph DeClercq, Writer

Douglas records 1,000th career kill

NAIA No. 9 Biola volleyball opened up pool play with a 3-0 win over No. 16 Spring Hill College at the 2011 NAIA Volleyball National Championships at the Tyson Events Center in Sioux City, Iowa. Junior Christine Douglas notched 11 kills for the Eagles to put her at 1,000 kills for her career.

Biola won its fourth straight match, putting them at 24-12, while Spring Hill recorded only its second loss and drops to 39-2 on the year.

The Eagles dominated the match, winning each set by at least seven points, including a 25-13 win in the third and final set.

Douglas’ 11 kills, Weingartner’s 14 digs power Eagles past Badgers

Douglas’ 11 kills led all Biola players and senior Sarah Schweiger, junior Rachel Buckley and freshman Amy Weststeyn all recorded 8 kills. Sophomore Emily Weingartner had 14 digs and senior Christian Woodruff followed closely with 12.

Biola’s team total of 49 kills towered over Spring Hill’s 37 and Biola’s .400 attack percentage was nearly twice as better as Spring Hill’s .217.

The Eagles take on the No. 25 Freed-Hardeman University Lions at 3:15 CST on Wednesday, Nov. 30 in the second round of pool play of the tournament.