Students urged to protect laptops after two more thefts

Two more Macbook computers were stolen on campus on Nov. 28.

Kristina Nishi, Writer

Two laptops were stolen within two hours in the Library in the afternoon on Nov. 28, bringing the tally up to nine taken this school year.

According to Campus Safety, the laptops were Macbooks that were left unattended and unsecured, matching the circumstances in previous thefts. In addition to the two taken from the Library, laptops are known to have been stolen from other buildings, including Crowell Hall, Hart Hall, Horton Hall, Mashburn Hall, and the Student Union Building.

A message was sent out to the students, advising them to take extra precautions with their laptops. The email stressed the urgency in taking precautions to prevent thefts. In addition to that, students are encouraged to invest in theft recovery software and security cable locks.

Campus Safety is currently investigating the laptop thefts. Although the team works tirelessly to ensure the safety and protection of Biolans, students must do their part to prevent becoming victims of crime.

“[Campus Safety] can’t be everywhere,” said Justin Shelby, administrative operations manager of Campus Safety. “It’s up to the students to keep an eye on their laptops.”

Any suspicious behavior or activity should be reported to Campus Safety at x5111 or (562) 777-4000.