Men’s soccer loses in NAIA playoffs, season over

The men’s soccer team lost against Hannibal-LaGrange University in the first round of the NAIA playoffs.

Anders Corey, Writer

Eagles force double-OT but fall in shootout

After powering through the Golden State Athletic Conference tournament, the Eagle’s season came to a halt Saturday following a PK shootout loss to Hannibal-LaGrange University after playing to a 1-1 draw through regulation.

Chew gives Eagles an early lead

Biola got on the board first when sophomore forward Daniel Chew put home a deflection off of the keeper in the eighth minute. Sophomore midfielder Kevin Kiser took a free kick from 33 yards out that the keeper could not handle, leaving Chew wide open to drive it in.

Then less than five minutes later the Eagle defense collapsed when senior goalkeeper Aaron Fenlason would collide with one of his own defenders when making a run for the ball. Sergio Beltrol was right there for the Trojans to loft it into the wide-open net.

The score remained tied through the rest of regulation with the Eagles being outshot 17-9.

In the first overtime Biola was given an advantage when Trojan Joao Junqueira was whistled for his second yellow card of the game, putting the Eagles up a man for the remainder of the match.

Biola was unable to take advantage of this though, tallying only one shot in the first overtime period and was outshot 5-0 in the second overtime period.

Game heads into PK shootout following scoreless overtime

With both teams unable to record a winning goal, the two adventured into penalty kicks.
Hannibal-LaGrange started off the shootout making their first shot with Eagle senior midfielder Zach Bautista missing his opportunity.

The Trojans then made their second attempt, but Biola senior defender Cody Shelton was able to answer for the Eagles to make it 2-1 Trojans.

Hannibal-LaGrange did not let up though, making their third shot with senior forward, and leading scorer, Marco Ruvalcaba unable to respond for the Eagles putting Biola down 3-1.

All the pressure was on Trojan Adolfo Cazorla who could win the match for his team if he could come through, but Cazorla was unable to and junior midfielder Julio Cuevas pulling the Eagles within one and made it 3-2.

The Biola season lay on the foot of Trojan Sergi Beltrol who, with a goal, would end the game. Beltrol put the ball low left, past Fenlason who, after seeing the Hannibal-LaGrange celebration, rolled over on his back. The Biola men’s soccer season was over.