Faculty Column: being intentional about fostering community

Creating community at Biola, and receiving the benefits that come with it, requires intentionality and care.

Recently I met with a student who traveled abroad this summer for missions. He processed his thoughts about community with me based on his observations at home and abroad. The term “community” gets thrown around a lot in Christian circles as a biblical goal. It contains the scriptural value of relationships. What emerged most noticeably for this student was community juxtaposed in various contexts. The sense of investing in one another and having accountability loomed definitively in the student’s descriptions, although he sadly found these lacking here at home. So many things occur daily at Biola that could be considered community in one way or another. Although these events offer all a lot of fun interaction, how do they contribute to a Christian university’s community?

Branching out to foster new communities

Earlier this fall, female faculty received an invitation to attend a weekend retreat at a nearby retreat center. About 25 opted to go. In fact the administration endorsed the event encouraging “community.” Each of us has our own family, friends, neighborhood, church body and other types of community. So why go? In part, the purpose involved community building here at Biola University, but the results went so much deeper.

As we sat around meal tables, discussion and laughter sprang up spontaneously. Some opted for hiking or walking down a gradual cliff overlooking the ocean. The organic conversations during an afternoon of soaking in natural, created beauty allowed individuals to get to know one another better and connect in ways that may not occur in meetings on campus. Imagine! I actually work in a place where I’m encouraged to take time out to be with my colleagues in meaningful, relational ways. The same was true in August as faculty took time out to go to the desert for the annual faculty conference. The theme revolved around sacred spaces for individual and community spiritual growth.

Benefits of being in community

But in each of the groups with whom we all connect, there is something to be gained by being together. Both Dallas Willard and Richard Foster write endorsements of community in their respective books on spiritual disciplines. They and many others consider assembling together, gathering, engaging in group interaction within the body of believers as a part of spiritual growth. Hebrews 10:24-25, Romans 12:1 and other passages admonish us to “meet together,” “encourage one another” and clarify the vitality of community in so doing.

From the beginning, we were made for relationship, first with God then with each other. Times of solitude, silence, prayer and other spiritual disciplines continue to be enhanced by the fullness of interaction in the body of Christ. The building of community brings accountability, caring and encouragement. These things do not just automatically happen. It’s vital to be intentional about them. Develop time and space for community. Come apart from the daily and accidental merger of acquaintances. As Scripture instructs us to set time aside for Sabbath, for prayer, personal quiet time with the Lord and other individual spiritual disciplines, it likewise promotes an intentional development of and caring for relationship with others. I so enjoy watching how we build the Biola community, each area of it, by caring for and about those with whom we work and study.

Making an effort to create community

My parents taught us to smile at people saying, “It doesn’t cost you anything!” I was also taught to give a firm handshake and look people in the eye, listening to what’s on their hearts. Even those simple acts help people to know they matter and they belong here at Biola. It might even require unplugging the iPod or getting off of the cellphone to do it occasionally. But moreover, the idea of purposeful meeting enhances the community. In fact now, this part of the semester more than ever, we all need to take a moment to “be still and [remember] that he is God” then extend a hand, a quiet moment to others in the community as we pray with thankful hearts for the opportunities here in the Biola community’s portion of the body of Christ.

Near the end of the semester it becomes more and more difficult to focus on anyone or anything besides grades and finishing final papers or projects. Although the crunch is now on and these are critical goals, everyone still needs connections that bring affirmation, care, accountability and prayer … and connections that continue to build community within Biola’s body of believers.