Addiction Awareness Week provides resources, answers for students

Addiction Awareness Week helps students learn how to minister to those who struggle.

An entire week has been devoted to addiction awareness, where students are given resources via daily chapels, luncheons, and an addiction fair on Nov. 16, 2011. The event was titled, Ripple Effect: Exploring Addiction. | Hannah Caprara/THE CHIMES

Christine Chan, Writer

Addiction Awareness Week, sponsored by Student Development, hosted the Addiction Fair on Wednesday, which offered a myriad of information and resources for Biola students on the food, drug, alcohol and pornography addictions that have been explored throughout the week in chapels and seminars.

“The purpose of this week is to bring this issue [of addiction] to the table, to give students a safe place to be informed, to talk, to ask questions,” said Victoria Smith, the associate director of University Events, last Friday. “Our Residence Life staff is always equipped to help students walk through these sorts of struggles, and I think this week will serve as a good reminder of resources that already exist in our community.”

Smith, who also oversaw last semester’s Define The Relationship Week, said that Addiction Awareness Week aims to equip students to know how to bring Christ’s love and minister to both Christians and non-Christians who struggle in the area of addiction.

Good turnout at first session Monday

Despite the men’s basketball game taking place at the same time, the opening session on Monday evening in Calvary Chapel showed a good turnout that required opening the side-wings, which were originally closed off, to accommodate students.

Patrick Saia, resident director for North Horton, emceed the family-style discussion that featured Brett McCracken, author of “Hipster Christianity,” psychologist Jody Ward and “Jenn,” a recovering alcoholic who spoke under an alias.

Saia requested that the audience be attentive to both the speakers and the Holy Spirit, as addiction is a very heavy subject. McCracken said that Biola students often hold a false idea about perfection and that addiction struggles are a taboo topic. The floor was later opened up for an “anything goes” Q-and-A, with questions ranging from dealing with guilt to whether or not alcoholism is a disease or sin.

Addition Fair offered students information about addiction

Wednesday’s Addiction Fair took place by Fluor Fountain and featured organizations geared toward promoting support and healing, like Overeaters Anonymous, Al-Anon — intended for families of alcoholics — and Alcoholics Anonymous, for alcoholics in recovery.

“I think it’s really good that they’re acknowledging the different problems and that people can get access to the resources if they need them,” said Vanessa Vosburg, a senior majoring in elementary education.

Still, some students at the fair — which was noticeably less crowded than expected — struggled with overcoming the common perception McCracken discussed on Monday.

Vosburg expressed that visiting the booths seemed like a lot of pressure, creating assumptions about a person’s possible addiction.

“We have a contract [here]. Basically, all these things, you’re not really supposed to be doing. I guess Biola doesn’t really say anything about eating behaviors but it’s basically all things that you would never want to admit to anybody,” said senior Kristen Engevik, a biology major. “I guess part of it’s awkward because it’s something that we never talk about.”

Addiction Awareness Week runs through Friday

Student Development will continue to feature information from the organizations on the Addiction Awareness Week website even after Friday’s conclusion. It will serve as a resource for the Biola community, according to Smith.

Addiction Awareness Week continues Thursday at 7 p.m. with a session on drugs in Calvary Chapel and will conclude after Friday morning chapel, “Rehabilitation, Recovery and Transformation.”