Men’s basketball pulls out win over Cal-State San Marcos

The men’s basketball team won 66-56 against California State University San Marcos on Nov. 16.

Zachary Fu, Writer

Murillo’s double-double powers Eagles past Cougars

Junior Andre Murillo powered Biola’s men’s basketball team to a 66-56 victory over California State University San Marcos on Wednesday night. Murillo’s double-double of 26 points and 12 rebounds played a huge role in the win. Most of his points were put backs off of missed shots. Junior Given Kalipinde added 15 points and nine rebounds, while sophomore Zack Zaragoza scored 11 points and pulled down six rebounds. The Eagles improve to a 4-1 record on the season while the Cougars fell to 2-2.

Murillo got the Eagles off to a quick start, scoring their first two baskets and pouring in 14 points in the period alone. However, as the first half wore on, the Cougars’ defense presented several problems for Biola. The Eagles kept a slight lead until a jumper by Cal State’s Tim Steed put them up by one with 8:54 remaining in the half. The Cougars stayed ahead for the rest of the half and led by one at intermission with the score at 27-26.

Strong second half gives Eagles the edge

The Cougars made it clear in the first half that they had very talented individual players, but Biola’s teamwork in the second half is what earned them the victory. The Eagles finally regained control of the game about 3 minutes into the second half on a 3-pointer by Zaragoza to give them a 33-32 advantage. Biola increased the lead for the rest of the game, leading by as much as 13 with 2:33 left in the game. The Eagles kept about 10 points of breathing room for the rest of the game.

Biola once again struggled with turnovers, giving the ball up on 15 times against the extremely athletic Cal State team. They return to action on Nov. 26 in an away game against Arizona Christian University at 4 p.m. Biola came out on top when the teams faced off earlier this season with a decisive 76-49 win.