Men’s soccer comes back to beat Concordia for GSAC championship

The men’s soccer team moves into the first round of the NAIA tournament after their win Saturday against Concordia University.

The Biola Men’s soccer team displays the “number one” sign because of their triumph over Concordia University at the GSAC finals on Nov. 12, 2011. | Ashley Jones/THE CHIMES

Anders Corey, Writer

Eagles win 3-2 in double overtime

No amount of rain and water could stop the Biola men’s soccer team as they defeated Concordia University 3-2 to capture the Golden State Athletic Conference championship Saturday in double overtime.

The Eagles were down 2-0 at halftime after Concordia midfielder Edgar Orozco tallied goals in the 18th and 30th minutes to put his team out front.

Ruvalcaba’s scores two goals in second half

All season Biola has been a second half team, and they continued to prove that as they did not let the game get away.

In the 53rd minute senior forward Marco Ruvalcaba headed in a cross from freshman midfielder Scott Hayes to pull the Eagles within one.

The downpour in Irvine continued to build as the game went along seemingly fueling the Eagle attack.

Then in the 69th minute Ruvalcaba continued to put the team on his back, drilling home his team leading ninth goal of the year to tie the game at two.

The score remained tied through regulation and the two teams adventured into overtime.

In the first overtime period Biola’s attack was relentless and Concordia had no answer, merely clearing out the ball but forming no strong retaliation. The Eagles outshot Concordia 4-0 in the period with none of their attempts finding the net.

Eagles head to national tournament

As the rain continued to pour in the fifth minute of the second overtime period, the skies opened up for Biola as one of their close attempts was punched in by sophomore forward Carlos Ballesteros for the game winner.

The Eagles move on to the NAIA tournament with their first round opponent yet to be announced.