Campus Safety addresses bicycle concerns

Campus Safety discusses the importance of drivers, pedestrians and cyclists being aware of each other and using precaution on campus.

unknown

Campus safety is warning drivers and bike riders alike to be more conscious of their belongings. | Lindsey Manus/THE CHIMES

Brittany Cervantes, Writer

Biola Avenue is a busy area for pedestrians, and Campus Safety advocates all types of vehicles be alert, including bicycles. Within the last year Campus Safety has received complaints from drivers, pedestrians and cyclists about safety concerns related to bicycles, according to Justin Shelby, administrative operations manager of Campus Safety.

Students must have a permit for their bikes as well as have them registered. The number of bicycles registered has increased and as a result there is more traffic, Shelby said. Although there have not been any accidents this year, there have been complaints of instances that have gotten dangerously close. These encounters have typically been attributed to a lack of awareness on the part of both cyclists and drivers.

Drivers and cyclists have similar rules

“Bicyclists have to follow all the rules of the road that cars do,” Shelby said.

Some policies for cyclists involve stopping at stop signs and yielding to pedestrians. A map of the areas prohibited on campus for cyclists can be viewed online. Essentially, areas that drivers are not allowed in are also closed off to cyclists.

Shelby addressed the importance of cyclists making themselves visible to drivers, mainly on Biola Avenue where there has been heavy traffic.

Cyclists need to stay alert when drivers pull in and out of parking spots but it is just as important for drivers to be aware of the other party, Shelby said.

Cyclists must also watch out for pedestrians as well. Pedestrians are not always able to hear a bicycle coming toward them, especially in areas where there are numerous students, Shelby explained.

Tips to avoid accidents

Cyclists must realize that they are less visible, Shelby said. He further explained that this means they need to be extra cautious about their surroundings. One tip is to make eye contact with drivers in order to assure that they see you, Shelby said. He advised using hand signals and riding with reflectors at night.

Campus Safety suggests riding on the right side of the roadway in a single file. Wearing a helmet is one of the cautionary safety tips for cyclists that is stressed by Campus Safety. Cyclists can be more careful by not weaving in and out of pedestrian traffic or speeding past cars, Shelby stated.

Campus Safety is not trying to target one group of people but to let students know in general to be safe in any type of transportation being driven, Shelby said.

“If you’re the cyclist and you get in an accident with a car, you lose,” Shelby said.