Biola Volleyball beats two conference foes

The women’s volleyball team won their matches against San Diego Christian College and Fresno Pacific University.

Senior Sarah McAtee reaches for a spike against San Diego Christian on Nov. 5, 2011. The Eagles won 3-0. | Tyler Otte/THE CHIMES

Brieana Jordan, Writer

NAIA No. 13 Eagles beat San Diego Christian College and Fresno Pacific

The Biola women’s volleyball team beat San Diego Christian College 3-0 on Saturday, Nov. 5, and Fresno Pacific University 3-2 on Tuesday, Nov. 8.

In their last home game of the season at Chase Gymnasium, Biola faced San Diego Christian and they not only cruised to victory in a three-set win, they also honored three seniors; Christian Woodruff, Sarah Schweiger and Joy Talcott.

After slow start Eagles dominate San Diego Christian

Biola started off slow in the first set and San Diego Christian led the score defensively. However, the Eagles began to step it up and broke a 13-13 tie. Woodruff got a service ace and Biola won the set 25-15.

In the beginning of the second set, the score between Biola and San Diego Christian was close, but it was not until the score was 10-10 that Biola again stepped it up. At the most, Biola was up by six points with a score of 24-18. With an attack error by the Hawks, Biola won 25-19.

In the third set, Biola’s attack percentage was .276 while San Diego Christian’s was -.038. Together, freshmen Amy Weststeyn and Rachel Krueger seemed unstoppable as they had block after block. Weststeyn finished with 10 kills and six blocks.

“I think confidence,” Krueger said in reference to what Biola had as an advantage over San Diego Christian. “We definitely came out with just positive energy and a love for one another that we wanted to play for each other so that gave us the confidence to just put the ball away.”

After the game, Woodruff, Schweiger and Talcott were honored by coach Aaron Seltzer, teammates and families for senior night.

“I’ve had a great four years here and it’s been a blessing getting to play with these girls,” Talcott said. “Our team is special, it’s not just a bunch of teammates, we are really a family so we are just a bunch of sisters and we love each other. It’s great to be playing with this group of girls.”

Woodruff had four service aces and seven digs. Schweiger had 12 kills and two blocks. Talcott added one kill, two service aces and three digs.

No. 13 Eagles upset No. 11 Fresno Pacific University in five sets

In a five set match, the Eagles finally beat the Fresno Pacific Sunbirds for the first time since 1997.

Throughout the first set the scores were close, but Biola won the set 25-23. Tied at 17-17, junior Christine Douglas had two kills and Krueger had one which gave them a three point lead. Later, Biola broke a tied score of 22-22 with an error from the opposing team. Weststeyn got the set point with a kill giving Biola the set win.

In the second set, Fresno Pacific took an 8-1 scoring to lead 15-9. later, with the score at 24-17, Biola fought back for a couple of points, but it was the Sunbirds who won 25-19.

Biola led 12-9 in the third set, however, Fresno Pacific came back quickly to take a lead. Eventually Fresno Pacific took the set 25-22.

In the fourth set after Fresno Pacific took a small lead, the two teams began exchanging points. The teams went into ties 12, 14 and 16 points apiece, but from then on Biola took control of the game winning the set with a score of 25-17.

Biola took a four point lead in the beginning of the fifth set. After that, the Sunbirds continued to trail more and more until the Eagles won the set 15-12, giving them an overall 3-2 win.

In the game, Douglas led the team with 20 kills and Schweiger had 12. Sophomore Chelsee Arnitz had the best attack percentage of any Biola player in a game this season at .647 percent.

Biola is now 22-12 this season and 9-8 in the Golden State Athletic Conference.

The women play their last GSAC match against The Master’s College on Saturday, Nov. 12 at 7 p.m.