Biola’s admission requirements remain constant over the years

Biola’s admission standards remain constant while other schools change their requirements.

Mark Nesbitt, Writer

While schools around the country lower their standards and course load, Biola students will not see these changing requirements.

Recently, the Los Angeles Times reported that the University of California system is no longer requiring students to take SAT subject tests and the New York Times reported that Harvard University was willing to lower their standards for admission in order to improve the performance of their sports teams.

The New York Times reported in 2008, that stress upon students during the admissions process can have a lasting negative impact.

Denise Pope, a Stanford University professor, told the NYT that it is worrisome when kids are focusing on and worrying about college from such a young age.

Biola’s admission standards stay the same

For students planning on applying to Biola, admission standards for Biola are to remain the same. According to Biola admissions counselor Chanelle Markwalder, the admission requirements have been the same at Biola for all seven years of her employment.

“The application was straightforward, easy to navigate, and it made Biola’s application process seem selective while not having unrealistic expectations of students,” said Harrison Palmer, a freshman philosophy major.

Biola’s admission rates higher than other private schools

Markwalder says that SAT Subject tests don’t have bearing upon a student’s acceptance, but the admissions office looks instead for involvement in church functions and a higher GPA among other things.

Though Biola University has a high acceptance rate in comparison to such schools like The Master’s College which is at 69.5 percent, and Azusa Pacific University at 50.6 percent, Greg Vaughan, vice president for enrollment management says that Biola is a selective institution.

“We are by definition, in terms of U.S. News & World report and the Carnegie commission, a selective institution based on our G.P.A. average and our SAT average,” Vaughan said.

The unweighted 3.5. G.P.A. of incoming students alongside an average SAT score of around 1120 are evidence of the high academic profiles of Biola students.

Vaughan explained that one page applications with no application fee makes the process of trafficking applicants very easy for colleges. This, in turn, makes their acceptance rate seem more selective than Biola’s 77.7 acceptance rate. Biola however, has a much more complex and time-consuming process with references, essays and an lengthy application which brings in a different type of student and allows admissions to pour time into each applicant.

Reasons for stress among college students

There is not only stress in applying to college, but there can also be stress for students when they reach their university and become heavily involved. The College Student Journal of 1999 reported on the Student Stress Survey, which found the top five sources of stress were: change in sleep patterns, vacations, change in diet, more work, and new responsibilities.

College freshmen are expected to experience stress, according to the article “Sources of Stress Among College Students” published in the College Student Journal. Stress for college students may come from pressures to find a mate, find a job, and not be able to effectively adjust to stressful situations. Lately, the newspapers have been looking into the idea that schools are lowering their standards in order to relieve the stress upon students.

According to a study reported by the College Student Journal, students who don’t deal with their stress may experience nervousness, loneliness, excessive worrying, and sleeplessness.

On-campus resources available for stressed students

For students who find themselves stressed on Biola’s campus, the student Health Center is available to help students on various levels.

“We often refer to Biola Counseling Center, so they can have a therapist that can work through some of their issues with them. If it’s significant, we might refer them to a psychiatrist. If I feel like it might have a spiritual component, I might pray with them, or recommend that they find a spiritual director, or talk to the people at ISF [Institue for Spiritual Formation],” said Dr. Tamra Hocking in the Biola Health Center.

As far as whether or not Biola has enough places for stressed students to go, “I think there’s enough places and people they can go to. It’s more a matter of recognizing that they are having an issue with it … Even sharing with a friend, they don’t even need a professional to help them. They can find some trusted confidant, and share their struggles and pray with a friend.” Hocking said.

As the application season has arrived, high school students may experience stress as they look into what schools to apply to, Pope explained to the NYT that students should focus on character, physical and mental health, and a real engagement in learning.