Susan Elliott a semi-finalist in Johnson & Johnson’s Amazing Nurses contest

The director of Biola’s nursing department is one of 20 semi-finalists in the Johnson & Johnson Amazing Nurses contest.

Melanie Morales, Writer

Susan Elliott, director of Biola’s department of nursing, has been voted one of the nation’s 20 semi-finalists in Johnson & Johnson’s Amazing Nurses contest. The contest allows the public to personally elect and celebrate individual nurses who have made a difference.

“I was shocked, because when you think of all the nurses there are, all doing amazing things every day; it is very humbling and an honor to be among these top 20 people,” Elliott said.

Opportunity to glorify God

Having one of Biola’s faculty members selected has given the university national recognition. Elliott said her selection has been an opportunity to glorify the Lord.

According to the contest website, its purpose is to commemorate and applaud the daily roles of the individuals in our communities. The Johnson & Johnson Campaign for Nursing’s Future, launched in 2002, is a multi-year national project designed to boost the nursing profession and partner with professional nursing organizations, schools and hospitals.

“Just last week I was at a meeting in San Diego with all of the directors of nursing across the state of California for bachelor and higher programs; it was announced there … deans and directors of the [Council for Christian Colleges and Universities] were also notified,” Elliott said. “It has given me a voice in a multitude of conversations to say this is all about God, because everything I do and have done is for his glory.”

Elliott’s nursing achievements

Elliott began her tenure as director in May 2008. Aside from richly contributing to Biola’s graduate and undergraduate nursing educational development, she specializes in international health, missionary nursing and maternal and child health. She has dedicated time in six different continents as a nurse practitioner and nurse educator. Elliott is also an inducted member of the Honor Society of Nursing, Sigma Theta Tau and conserves her national certification and clinical practice as a family and women’s nurse practitioner.

Public votes conducted via Facebook will determine the last five finalists. The winning finalist will then be chosen by five judges who are top professionals in the medical field. The Amazing Nurses winner will be announced in December and will receive an invitation to attend the 2011 CNN Heroes: An All-Star Tribute in Los Angeles. Johnson & Johnson will feature the winner in a TV commercial on CNN.

“It’s really encouraging to know that the head of my department and major is elected,” Whitt said, “knowing that I can someday qualify to be a successful nurse like Dr. Elliott, influences me to persevere through my difficult classes.”

Sophomore Grace Moore agreed, further explaining how seeing Elliott’s achievements puts her own goals into perspective.

“Her achievements encourage me in the competitive nursing field because I know what I am working towards,” Moore added. “I’m thrilled to learn from someone who has gone above and beyond in her call to nursing.”