Women’s soccer upsets Azusa, wins fifth straight game

The women’s soccer team won their last three games against Fresno Pacific University, Azusa Pacific University and Westmont University.

Tyler Otte

Biola women’s soccer beat APU 2-1 on October 15, 2011. | Tyler Otte/THE CHIMES

Jacquelyn Elissa Mota, Writer

Biola women’s soccer beat APU 2-1 on Oct. 15, 2011. | Tyler Otte/THE CHIMES

Women’s soccer wins three against GSAC foes

The Biola women’s soccer team won a season-high five consecutive games. Their most recent wins came against Fresno Pacific University, Azusa Pacific University and Westmont University.

On Wednesday, Oct. 12 the women faced off at home on Al Barbour field against FPU and dominated them in a 1-0 victory. The Eagles controlled the majority of the game, out shooting Fresno 18-10. The victory was achieved when junior midfielder Katie Cabuling scored with only thirteen minutes left in the game as senior forward Sarina Coutin crossed from the right and sent the ball over to Cabuling, who met the ball and placed placed it into the left side of the net. Cabuling’s has earned two game winning goals this season, the first against Marymount College on Sept. 20.

Biola goalie Erin Frushon had a standout performance in the game against Fresno. Frushon made four saves in the game and even left the goalie box at times to stop the opposing team. This was her fourth shutout of the season, amounting to 306 minutes without allowing a goal to be made.

Eagles upset No. 5 Azusa

On Saturday, Oct. 15 Biola upset rival and NAIA No. 5 APU 2-1 in double-overtime thanks to sophomore Jessica Austin’s seventh goal of the season on Biola’s home field.

The Eagles showed themselves to be the stronger team in the first half, really putting pressure on the Cougars both defensively and offensively. With twenty-nine minutes left in the first half, senior forward Brittany Barr was able to place the ball into the top right corner of the net. At the end of the first half the Eagles were up 1-0.

The second half was a completely different game. The Cougars appeared to be the better team as their team shot total reached 15 in the second half. In the last seven minutes of the game, the intensity really picked up, with APU trying hard to get on the scoreboard. With only five minutes and 53 seconds left in the game APU scored, ending regulation time with the score tied 1-1.

The game went into second overtime after both teams failed to score in the first overtime period. Austin scored the golden goal in the second round of overtime, with as assist from junior Taylor Lundquist, securing the victory for Biola.

Frushon records another shutout, Eagles beat Westmont 1-0

On Tuesday, the Eagles were strong in their game against the Westmont Warriors, winning 1-0. on Tuesday. Biola was able to get an early lead when Coutin scored on a penalty shot 10 minutes into the game.

The Warriors had a chance to even things up in the 22nd minute when they were given a penalty kick after some pushing and shoving on Biola’s part. Westmont’s Ashley Correa sent the shot over to the right. However, Frushon was able to guard the ball and send it back to the right hand side of the field.

Although Westmont out shot Biola 14-9 and was able to put four shots on goal as opposed to Biola’s two, they were unable to break down the Eagles defense.

Moral is high on the team since Westmont and APU were the women’s only two losses last season. Coming out and beating these two teams is an extreme confidence booster for the team. Despite the excitement that stems from their wins, the Eagles are maintaining a strong focus on God and humility.

“I am extremely proud of my team and the people we have become as a result of this season. We are learning to praise God no matter what the results are,” Coutin said. “This week we have had the opportunity to show humility and grace after two big wins.”

The Eagles go into their next game against the Sea Lions from Point Loma Nazarene University with 8-5-0 record, 5-1 in the Golden State Athletic Conference, on Saturday, Oct. 22.