Cougars topple Eagles in 2-1 overtime home loss

The men’s soccer team lost 2-1 against Azusa Pacific University on Oct. 15.

Mike Villa

Freshman Eric Sotelo fights to keep the ball away from an APU Cougar during the men’s game on Saturday, October 15, 2011. | Job Ang/THE CHIMES

Jacquelyn Elissa Mota, Writer

Wingrove scores in Biola’s loss to APU

The Biola Eagles lost to No. 11 Azusa Pacific University Cougars 2-1 in overtime on Saturday. Sophomore midfielder Dylan Wingrove scored the Eagles’ lone goal.

The Eagles dominated the first half offensively, out-shooting APU while holding a strong defense against the Cougars. Things started looking up when Wingrove scored for the Eagles with only four minutes and six seconds left in the first half.

In the second half both teams played aggressively, leading to Biola junior midfielder Julio Cuevas and freshman midfielder Sava Pantic both being yellow carded.

It appeared as if Biola had taken the win until, with only one minute and 57 seconds left in the second half, APU scored — tying the game 1-1 at the end of regulation time.

Eagles allow an overtime goal

The game then went into overtime. With only one minute and 42 seconds left on the clock in the first round of extra time, APU freshman midfielder Jordan Markovich, with the assist from defender Robert James, scored the golden goal, dooming the Eagles’ chances of winning the game.

Injuries still mounting for Eagles

Earlier in the game, Biola sophomore midfielder Kevin Kiser collided with APU sophomore midfielder Oktay Bulut and suffered an injury to his right leg. This was just another setback in a long string of injured players that included freshman defender Joao Toscan and junior defender Ben Ortega.

Still, no matter what injuries the team faces, Kuderman is committed to keeping the team united.

“We are going to try and finish this season strong and together,” Kuderman said.

The Eagles head into their final four games with a 7-4-2 record, but are just 2-3 in Golden State Athletic Conference play.

“Every game is very important, I don’t think about the rivalry, I don’t care about Biola weekend, none of that matters to me. Every game is very important. So having the lead and dominating this game the way we did to lose it was hard,” Kuderman said.

Although the Eagles suffered a harsh loss against the Cougars, the team did learn something.

“The game isn’t over until the final whistle blows,” Wingrove said.

The Eagles face off against Point Loma Nazarene University on Saturday, Oct. 22 at 3 p.m. in San Diego, Calif.