Women’s soccer takes down rival APU

Biola women’s soccer won against rival Azusa Pacific in the second round overtime during the Biola Weekend game on Oct. 15.

Jacquelyn Elissa Mota, Writer

Biola women’s soccer upset rival and NAIA No. 3 Azusa Pacific University 2-1 in double-overtime on Saturday, Oct. 15, thanks to sophomore Jessica Austin’s seventh goal of the season.

Strong first half yields results

The Eagles showed themselves to be the stronger team in the first half, really putting pressure on the Cougars both defensively and offensively. With twenty-nine minutes left in the first half, senior forward Brittany Barr was able to place the ball into the top right corner of the net. At the end of the first half the Eagles were up 1-0.

APU scores in the second half to force overtime

The second half was a completely different game from the first half. The Cougars appeared to be the better team as their team shot total reached 15 in the second half. In the last seven minutes of the game, the intensity really picked up, with APU really trying to get on the scoreboard. With only 5:53 left in the game APU scored off of an open shot. At the end of regulation time the score was tied 1-1.

Austin’s team-leading seventh goal gives Biola the win

Both teams went into the second period of overtime following a scoreless first overtime period. Sophomore forward Jessica Austin scored the golden goal in the second round of overtime with the assist from Junior midfielder and defender Taylor Lundquist, gaining a victory for Biola.