No. 12 Cougars take down No. 21 Eagles at home

Azusa Pacific University beat Biola University in overtime during Saturday’s men’s soccer game.

Mike Villa

on Saturday, October 15, 2011. | Job Ang/THE CHIMES

Jacquelyn Elissa Mota, Writer

Freshman Collins Egbe goes up against Azusa junior Trenton Titus for a header. The Eagles lost in overtime in the final meeting the two GSAC rivals will have as APU is set to leave the conference following this year. | Job Ang/THE CHIMES

The NAIA No. 21 Biola Eagles lost to No. 12 Azusa Pacific University 2-1 in overtime, Saturday, Oct. 15. The Eagles began the game with a solid performance, out-shooting APU.

Wingrove’s goal lifts Biola in the first half

With only seven minutes and fifteen seconds left in the first half, sophomore midfielder Kevin Kiser collided with APU midfielder Oktay Bulut and suffered an injury to his right leg. This is just another setback in a long string of injuries suffered by the Eagles recently. However, things started looking up when sophomore midfielder Dylan Wingrove scored for the Eagles with only four minutes and six seconds left in the first half.

Yellow cards and an APU goal dampen Biola’s second half

In the second half both teams played very aggressively, leading to Biola’s junior midfielder Julio Cuevas and freshman midfielder Sava Pantic both being yellow carded. With only one minute and fifty-seven seconds left in the second half APU scored, tying the game.

APU puts the game away with an overtime goal

At the end of regulation time the score was 1-1. The game then went into overtime. With only one minute and forty-two seconds left on the clock APU scored again, dooming the Eagles chances of winning the game.